To the Edge

TW: tones of violence, manipulation; slight mention of graphic details such as blood

"Oh don't look so surprised to see me, I know you read the note I left for you." Dream said, taking his dagger and running it along the bars of my cell door. He eyed the note that had fallen to the floor, still faced upward so that the small, etched in ':)' he had drawn was visible from any corner of the room.

I sat up slowly, the effects of being brought back to life slowly lifting and giving me eased range of motion. I searched around for anything that I might be able to use to defend myself, but there was nothing in sight.

Dream wasn't taking any chances anymore. I looked back at him, and although he had that stupid mask on, I just knew he was smirking at my defeat.

"You know, I could almost say I'm impressed." Dream continued. "You managed to escape multiple prison cells, somehow remember who's side you were on after the whole egg situation, and I don't even want to know how you managed to get my sword out of your stomach. Although seeing as you were gone after ten minutes of my leaving, I'd say you had help."

"How did you know?" I asked, knowing that I didn't need to elaborate on what I was asking.

"That you were dead? That was easy." Dream said. He reached into his pocket and retrieved a small golden watch- no- not a watch- a compass.

He held it out so that I could see it clearly, and as he tilted it from side to side, and the red end of the locator didn't stay pointed north as a normal compass should.

This one was enchanted to point towards something else.

It stayed pointed directly at me.

That psychopath has had a compass leading to me all this time.

"How long have you-" I began to ask, still in disbelief. How long had this been going on without my knowledge? But I didn't get the words out of my mouth.

"Long enough. And longer than you probably want to know." Dream said. He closed the compass and replaced it in his pocket.

He was, as much as I always hated to admit it, probably right. I don't want to imagine, let along know how long he's had a map straight to me.

"When the dial suddenly started spinning out of control, I thought you had gone to the nether. But when that wasn't the case, it was pretty easy to figure out what had happened." Dream said.

Dream calmly unlocked the cell door, stepping inside and leaning towards me, his mask inches away from my face.

"Now let me ask you something." Dream said in no more than a harsh whisper. "Did you really think death could save you?"

He doesn't know. About XD.

This is good. If XD succeeded in destroying the curse, then now I would be immortal, and Dream couldn't do anything to me.

That is if XD succeeded.

"Anything is better than here." I said, playing along. If Dream had a compass that showed where I was, and he knew I was in the desert, he might be able to figure out what I was up to.

"Oh really?" Dream said, a slight tone of surprise in his voice. "You'd leave Tommy all alone with me if it meant you were free?"

I didn't respond to Dream. If I said yes, he'd use my words to torment Tommy, and Tommy had been through enough already. But if I said no, he'd ask questions. So I stayed quiet and glared at him in return.

"That's what I thought." Dream said, backing away and examining the empty cell, before turning back to me. He spun the dagger between his fingers, and ran it along the wall, making a sound almost resembling nails on a chalkboard, and leaving behind a light trail on the dark obsidian where his dagger had been.