Chapter 1 : Audience

Story: His Return
Chapter 1: Audience
Word Count: 3400

'The Measure Of A Man Is What He Does With Power'

September 6th, Mount Olympus

•••

'What could I have done?'
'Is it a punishment or a blessing?'
'Will I have to go on another quest?'

His mind raced with a million questions a minute as he rode the elevator up to Mount Olympus.

His blood curled and his pores raised, still uncomfortable with the idea of using an elevator. He had made it a duty to stay as far away as he possibly could from these things. From Percy's experience, elevators and him did not get along very fondly.

It had been a year since the Giant war. Both camps were still in the process of reconstruction from the damages inflicted during the battles. The gods kept their promise to Jason and produced shrines and cabins to honor the forgotten and lesser known gods. New campers were flowing in every day.

It was a long way from 'back to normal,' but it was a start.

What Percy didn't understand however was why the gods summoned him to an audience on Olympus. He was clueless as to what it could concern. The first thought that crossed his mind was the idea that they may just be appointing him another quest, which he was not very enthusiastic about, but he saw no other reason for a personal summons to Olympus.

A feeling a dread dawned upon him. Whatever this was, it was not good.

Percy quickly stepped out of the elevator when it came to a stop, basking in the feeling of having solid, non-moving ground beneath his feet again before making his way up the streets of Olympus to the throne room.

As he walked through the city of the gods, conversations stopped. People and satyrs and naiads all turned toward him, their faces filled with respect and gratitude, and as he passed, they knelt, as if he were some kind of superhero.

He moved up towards the throne room and stopped just before he entered the doors, taking a deep breath. He wanted to mentally prepare himself for whatever was about to come his way.

Fourteen thrones, all made for beings at least twelve feet in height, two newly made for Hades and Hestia after Percy's last request to the gods.

Nothing had changed since his last visit to Olympus. The thrones were arranged in an inverted U, just like the cabins at Camp Half-Blood.

Hestia's enormous fire crackled in the central hearth pit.

Only 13 thrones were occupied.

Hephaestus smiled when he saw young Perseus. After the Giant War, Percy had  taken an interest in metal works. He spent more time in the forge amongst the members of Cabin 9. On occasion, Hephaestus himself would pop into the camp and they would work together to forge weapons which the counselors would then distribute to new campers that couldn't seem to find a balanced sword; just like him when he first started camp.

Percy liked Hephaestus. They got along well; like friends even. He was unlike most of the Olympians who found pleasure in boasting of power. He was humble. Just like Percy.