4.10

[act four; chapter ten     -     rotten reunions]

Andromeda Storm knew, from the moment the labyrinth once more, that Percy's plan had gone terribly wrong. She could feel it in her bones, just seconds before the shattering of the earth met her ears, before she really knew it. She remembered screaming his name, her throat turning raw time after time, hoping, praying to the gods that he would answer.

He didn't.

Somehow they managed to make it back to Camp Half-Blood without issue. No attacks, no sudden detours, just one quick trip.

But when they got back, when they stumbled out from between the boulders of Zeus' Fist, covered in blood and grime, feeling more exhausted than ever, they knew it was bad. Andromeda could see it in the way people moved out of Annabeth's way as she busied herself, or how everyone walked on eggshells around the daughter of Dionysus.

It was like clockwork, like a light switch in the back of her mind. She had reverted back to being cold and closed off, her face either empty or filled with rage. She would stay up late at night, spending her time in the arena with Mania; Mrs. O'Leary was her only living companion. She would wake up late in the morning, dark circles always present under her eyes. She constantly wore armour, paranoid of being attacked at any time. She would wander into the forest when she thought no one was watching just to cry, to scream at anything or anyone who would hear it.

Sometimes she would just lay in her bed all day, listening to the quiet murmur of Castor and Pollux on the main floor, or the laughter of campers outside.

One day at dinner in the pavilion, someone had said something along the lines of Percy being dead and she snapped. Vines had sprouted from the pots on the tables and coiled around the campers wrists and legs like a snake, so tight it left bruises and bloody scratches. It had taken several people to pull her from the pavilion, looking more of a lunatic than a human. Chiron had given her a sedative to calm her down so they could clean up her mess.