Kozume Kenma - Return Home

Au: Sword Art Online

Requested

Tags/Warnings: GN!Reader, Very much uninformed writing of what Sword Art Online is, short lol probably the shortest I've written in a while

Word Count: 1k

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

It wasn't home without you. Kozume's heart burned every moment he sat, watching the water drop from its plastic container into the skinny tube that led to your arm. Any life left of you would be found in a world that he couldn't reach nor take you from.

The dark helmet on your head was a capture device. Sold and distributed to gamers to experience a VR world like they never had before. He bought it for you as a birthday present. He could still feel the warmth of your lips on his cheek when you thanked him for it.

Regret burned his stomach every time he thought about the day. He should have bought something else. Even flowers, which you'd likely forget to hydrate and let rot, would have been a better choice.

Anything would've been better than visiting every day to watch your lay numbly with that helmet strapped to your head and tubes feeding you every day. Your body had to suffer because of his mistake.

Even so, he hoped you were doing well. In your mind, that is. Staying out of trouble, making a living in the virtual world you were caught in. Something calm, peaceful, staying away from the danger in the world.

But with every twitch your body made, he knew you were doing anything but. He shouldn't be surprised. He wasn't surprised. If anything, it gave him a semblance of peace that you still existed, that you were still you, even if it scared him.

So when he wasn't busy, he'd sit and wait by your bedside, imagining what adventures you were on, and when he wasn't, he tried not to think about the situation you were forced into.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

You knew your parents would be proud of you. Who wouldn't be? Having a kid held in the highest regard among all others is known for strength and power. Once you got out of the mind trap, you were sure that they'd be proud of all the time you spent playing video games. It was the only reason you managed to last so long, after all.

The need to get home to your natural body was strong, even if you found some joy in playing.

You were looking at the exterior of the Ruby Palace, floor 100, and your escape home when suddenly everything changed. First, the sky crumbled, giving way to eroding pixels and flashing lights. Then the sight of the enormous cone-like building in the distance vanished. The ground came; next, the stone path disappearing one rock at a time at great speed before reaching your feet. It was dark, pitch black. You couldn't feel the weight of your gear or see your hand in front of you. It took a moment to release that there wasn't anything there to preserve anyways.

It was all gone. Just you, mentally floating in an unperceivable space. Time seemed to be nothing as well because when light nearly blinded you, you couldn't tell if you were left to your own thoughts for days or seconds.

What you soon found out, however, was that two years had passed since you put on that headset.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Kuroo watched Kozume run out of the gym that day, leaving everything behind except for his phone that he had gotten a call on moments before. The rest of the team were puzzled, conversations stopping at the sound of the gym door slamming.

"Was that Kenma?" one asked from the back of the gym, making Kuroo's head turn in their direction. It was Yaku. "Do you know what that might've been about?"

"Maybe? I'm not sure at the moment."

The next time the team saw their setter, Kuroo knew.

Wrapped protectively in Kozume's arm was a familiar face, walking for the first time he'd seen in two years, was you. A weaker, frailer version, but recognizably you. So when you nearly took a stumble, like a newborn dear, he rushed over.

"Don't touch me, Rooster. I fought off nearly every boss. I'm not some weak shit."

Yea, definitely you. He backed off, letting Kozume get you situated on one of the gym's benches.

The team was quick to crowd, more than eager to catch sight of a new face while appearing as subtle as possible. Futakuchi spilt water down his shirt, trying to look natural. You laughed, which he seemed to appreciate.

Kai placed a hand on Kozume's shoulder, willing the young setter to speak.

Kozume, already not one for words, couldn't seem to get the words out. Choking on breath every time his mouth opened. The team turned to Kuroo, the only person they knew who seemed familiar with the situation. But before the ruffled-haired boy got the chance to speak, you had made yourself known.

"Kenma and I are dating." It was quite the opening line, making heads turn on a swivel. "Or were?"

Kozume's dam burst. He curled up on his knees, letting you drag soothing strokes along his back with a shaky hand.

"Sorry, are. But it's been. What has it been, Kuroo? Two Years?"

Kozume's back shook. Kuroo nodded.

"Sorry, sorry. Um, well, I was one of the people trapped inside the videogame Nerve released."

Kozume silently listened as you retold your story from your experience: expeditions, sword fighting, giant bosses. Injuries, battles, death.

He was glad you made it out alright. A part of him wished he could've gone in with you despite the danger. Just so you wouldn't be so alone. So he wouldn't be so alone.

The warmth of your hand on his back, listening to your voice as you painted a cinematic masterpiece for his friends to listen to, felt like coming home for the first time in years. And he knew, despite admitting having some fun in the fictional game he stupidly bought you, that you felt it too.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

The banner is better than the fic lol - Bacon

Posted: 13/03/2022