Best Years

"You've got a million reasons to hesitate

"You've got a million reasons to hesitate."
Best Years
5 Seconds of Summer

New years eve was an absolute disaster that George couldn't fix unless he fled back to his country.

It started off with the shock of meeting Quackity and Karl again. Ashamed of his previous actions he let his friends coddle Ashlyn while they prepared for the small party. She'd cried three tantrums since waking up and George was out of depth. He guesses she was feeling homesick because honestly, George wanted to go home as well.

Walking on eggshells around Dream was easier said than done. There were just things that resurfaced as George lived in the house he once visited. It amazed him how many habits had been formed in those small two weeks. How many were starting to form now hidden right under his nose. Dream helping put Ashlyn to sleep, Sapnap cooking breakfast with her, taking naps. God if anything that's what he missed most since keeping Ashlyn, his sleep. And here he received an abundance of it.

The domestic things were easy, although he knew, in the long run, they wouldn't be, they still were. Tension wasn't. Dream seemed to grow more and more comfortable the less his girlfriend showed her face. He touched closer and closer to breaking the line of platonic. Whispering light-hearted in his ear, kissing his palms, his cheeks, George was on edge. His lips were bitten until bruised and Ashlyn became more and more irritable as George repressed his anxiety.

In the corner of the living room, George watched the ongoings of this small party. It was family-friendly, explaining the reasoning behind several random children dashing in and out of Dream's house. They were his cousins or possibly some of Sapnap's as his family had come in to visit. Ashlyn didn't like any of the other kids.

George couldn't blame her the others were the typical kids you find at the park or the mall play place. The ones Quackity didn't like. To prove his point one of the little girls ran past them ripping the head off of her American Girl doll. Ashlyn scrunched her nose and turned to look at George. He couldn't help but laugh at her, she was so smart and witty for her age. With a kiss on her cheek, he knew she was going to be such a problem as a teenager.

Quackity, seeming to have finally escaped a long conversation with one of Dream's family members when he plopped down unapologetically with a beer. After digging in his pocket he handed Ashlyn a tiny Dumdum which she took gratefully mumbling her thanks.

"She hasn't eaten dinner yet," George sighed.

"You sound like a parent," Quackity quipped. Defiantly he opened the wrapper and let Ashlyn grab the stick. Weary, she looked back at George who just nodded, quickly she stuffed the sweet between her front teeth. "Plus its one sucker."

George changed the subject. "Thought you weren't drinking until later at Punz's party."

Snorting around the rim of his beer, Quackity replied, "I'm pregaming because families make me anxious, so do kids. And they are a dime a dozen here."