24 - strawberries

Carters Pov

Carters Pov
.....

I cant help but smile as I watch Mila command all the girls like puppets. Blair waves when she sees me leaning against the door but scowls upon realizing why i'm here and who i'm looking at.

It's not that she doesn't like our situation, she's just worried for us. If we're caught together again—Mila and I that is—then we can say goodbye to the marriage. Maybe she'd be happy with that, but I can't let this go to shit now.

She also doesn't trust me to be out of the hospital so quickly, but I'm fine. Obviously. I wouldn't be out if I wasn't...

Blair flips off the top and Mila claps, telling them all the details for later. The hockey team is having practice and they all planned to go. It's their crappy excuse of wanting to see us all sweaty and hot.

The rest of the girls give me a wave as well before they walk off their stage and into the locker rooms, Blair included.

When Mila turns around and sees me, she frowns. Lovely to know that she enjoys my presence, not.

"I have a surprise for you.." I say while smiling, pushing away from the main door and walking down the aisles of chairs. "Is this surprise in public?"

I nod and her frown deepens. "I don't think so, we need to keep our distance. Right?" I don't blame her for doing this.

The whole 'push me away' thing. Since I know she's the one who found me, I know she worried in the ambulance and I know she cried in the waiting room. I know she cares for me more than she'll ever let on.

And I also know that fact scares her, a helluva lot more than she cares to admit.

She's been through hell and back, I get it. I just need to prove that we can be 'friends' without being shown on the media. That we can go out in public together as 'friends'

So my plan? Rent out a strawberry field from a farmer, couple thousand down the drain but she's worth it.

I hold out my hand to help her down and for the first time ever, she takes it without reluctance. We both realize but neither of us comment on it.

"What if I told you I had a surprise, that's specialized to you and you only. You don't even have to pay attention to what you wear or anything. No tabloids or headlines. Free from the media."

Instead of a scowl, her eyebrows raise in interest. Bingo, I've got her attention.

Until she slides her phone out from the cheerleading skirt and types for a couple seconds. "8718. That's only a quarter of the results for my name. A. Quarter. Do you realize how many headlines that is?"