Chapter-38🤯

Taehyung's pov

He cooed up at me with those big chocolaty eyes that both made me melt and broke my heart. Yeonjun looked just like his uncle.

"He's absolutely gorgeous, Amy."

She scooped baby jun from my arms and positioned him to take a bottle. "He looks just like Jungkook. Let's hope he gets his uncle's brains and not his attitude."

We'd met at a small Greek restaurant within walking distance from Amy and Eun-woo's apartment. They must have been regulars because the owner took Yeonjun from Amy's arms the minute she walked in and smothered him with kisses. The restaurant also sent over a half-dozen plates of food without our even ordering.

I'd debated whether to reach out to Sam or Amy but ultimately decided on Amy. Sam was locked up like a bank vault when it came to Jungkook. Between working for him and being Sehun's best friend, her loyalty ran deep. That's not to say Amy wasn't extremely loyal to Jungkook. However, I had a feeling she'd do what she thought was best for him, no matter what- even if it meant telling a story he might not have wanted to be told.

"I hope you don't mind my looking you up and calling."

"Mind? Call me every day. I love this little guy, but I'm starting to talk in baby talk even to adults. I could use an excuse to get out more often, to make me get out of my sweats and wash my hair before eight at night."

We made small talk for a while, about the baby and other things I thought I'd have to uncomfortably bring up what I wanted to ask, but Amy beat me to it.

"Can I ask you something personal?" she said.

"Of course."

"Did my brother do something to upset you? That's why you're not together anymore?"

"Yes, actually."

"I figured. What did the idiot do?"

I deadpanned, "He broke up with me."

She seemed genuinely shocked. "Why?"

"I have no idea. That's part of the reason I wanted to talk to you. He broke up with me, and yet he's sitting and guarding my apartment every night."

Amy scrunched up her face. "What is he doing?"

I gave her the full story, although even as I told it aloud for the first time, it sounded like parts were missing. Which made me even more certain several parts were... Big parts.

When I finished, the baby had just fallen asleep, and Amy gently set him down in the stroller. I was surprised to see tears in her eyes when she sat back down in her seat.

"It all makes sense now."

"What does?"

Big drops slid down her cheeks, staining her face. "He feels like he failed to keep Sehun safe, and your biggest concern is safety. He doesn't feel worthy, but can't let go."

The gates opened wide after that. Amy filled me in on everything I'd been missing, from Detective Byun to Jungkook's walnut knife, and all about Eddie in between. By the time she was done, we were both full-on crying. My heart broke for Jungkook. It was bad enough to have lost someone he loved, but to find out it was his knife-a knife he'd voluntarily given the man who killed his love-made him feel like he'd been the cause of Sehun's death. Like he hadn't protected him. Oh God.

Amy and I walked with our arms linked as she pushed the carriage back to her apartment.

"Do you want to come in?

"I'd love to. But another day, maybe?"

She nodded. "I'm going to hold you to that."

"You won't have to. I'm going to keep in touch whatever happens."