Chapter 1

They first appeared over a hundred years ago, giant humanoid creatures with a taste for human blood

They first appeared over a hundred years ago, giant humanoid creatures with a taste for human blood. The brute strength of these creatures trumped an average persons many times over, they were shoved to the brink of extinction almost overnight. The survivors created walls Maria, Rose and Sina, withdrawing behind them in fright for what was over a century of uneasy peace.

Kaya wasn't your average human girl. In fact she wasn't even a human, she was what's known as a ghoul. Ghouls are creatures who feed on human flesh, have healing abilities and a powerful exquisite kagune that fit them. You may be thinking, what makes a ghoul and a titan so different, well. You see, titans eat humans for pleasure and from pure animal instinct, where as ghouls have no choice. Humans are the only food source for ghouls and if they don't eat regularly they lose most of their humanity, thus making them no different to the titans at all.

From birth, Kaya has lived in the crime ridden lands of the underground where her mother and father taught her how to survive and keep her secret hidden. From what she was taught, they were the only ghouls left, the rest had slaughtered each other in a pointless war. Her mother and father had fled that war and found sanctuary inside the walls where no one knew the existence of ghouls. Of course, there were still legends and fairytales, but no one in their right mind would believe them. Or that's what she hoped.

From the tender age of thirteen, Kaya had been abandoned. Her parents were gone. They left no trace of even existing other than their own daughter. But Kaya was smart, she knew her way around the underground and she knew how to control her hunger. Since that day she had been a notorious thief who specialised in doing jobs for a man named Kenny.

Kenny trained her the basics of ODM gear and from then she only grew stronger. She learnt how to fly through the heights of the underground and fight her way out of any trouble, so far no one new her secret.