Chapter 2

Present day

Present day
.
.
.
Kaya was souring through the streets of the underground using her ODM gear like usual but today was special. She had been given the task steal some information a high ranking officer in the military police. Kaya hated the military police and would often go out of her way just to fly past them for her own amusement. In fact, the military police and locals had grown so tired of her crimes, that they had given her a nickname for her wanted posters. The fox of the underground. Kaya was quite pleased with the name and didn't know if they thought of it because of her abnormal orange tinted eyes or the fact that foxes were often known for stealing. But right now she needed to focus on her mission. With that, she sharply turned the corner, eager to see what awaited her. Her entail told her that the man was going to be alone trying to find sanctuary near one of those ludicrous churches. Kaya didn't understand their ways of worshipping the walls, why didnt they just worship the people who built them instead. Being a ghoul, Kaya never had anything to fear from the titans because they only attacked humans, yet she didn't know if it was more of a burden than a gift.

As Kaya drew closer to her destination, she started to feel uneasy. She quickly shook the feeling and continued, only to be led to an ambush. Eyes widening, the fox made a quick turn and tried to out manoeuvre the mps. She had dealt with the military police many times before, and she couldn't deny the fact that she was more skilled than them, but this time seemed different. These soldiers were keeping up with her speed, they were not the weaklings she normally dealt with. They were, the wings of freedom.

Their green capes fluttered gracefully as they tried to disarm the girl, drawing closer by the second. Kaya thought quickly and came up with ways she could avoid confrontation. She shot both her hooks the opposite sides of the street she had been fleeing down, and sped up making her shoot herself in the other direction like a slingshot. She glided through the air, not wanting to run out of gas before she got away.

Just as she thought that she had opened enough distance between the two, she saw a green cape at the corner of her eye. "May I help you?" The fox asked smirking at the man whilst tricking him. She made it look like she was going to turn left, however at the last minute she used more gas and turned right. To her relief, he fell for it. But that didnt last long because he quickly recovered and was once again on her tail. This was starting to piss her off.

Suddenly, the soldier shot his hook, aiming for Kaya. The ghoul quickly cut her gas supply and was headed straight to the ground, just missing the hook. At the last minute she gripped her right hook on the side of a building and used the momentum of the fall to propel herself into a narrow alleyway. Kaya could do nothing but run, she had managed to stop herself from being impaled by the soldiers hooks but she was now trapped and could only hope there were no soldiers at the other side of the alleyway.

'Great just my luck'. She thought sarcastically. Kaya was now trapped. About a dozen soldiers were at each end of the alleyway and her only choice was to go up. On instinct, she jumped as high as she could to try and find the right angle for her hooks to pull her out. Fortunately, they did and she used her gas to increase the speed of her escape. Kaya was so close to getting away and catching the soldiers off guard, but she was outsmarted.

There was a squad positioned on the roof and the man who tried to kill her earlier was first to attack. He dived towards the ghoul while she was in midair and put his swords towards her throat while the rest of his body was holding Kaya down. But she wasn't going to go down without a fight so she bucked her hips which caused him to lose balance and then she quickly twisted her body pushing him and his duel swords away from her. The two began to circle each other, waiting to see who would make the first move.

The soldier was quick to take the opportunity to leap forward and put her in a headlock, he was fast and before Kaya knew it he was already trying to bring her down. She instantly grabbed his arm and used all her ghoulish strength the flip him over her, sending him smashing into the ground. She then pulled the same trick that he had earlier, putting her swords against his neck, but unlike him, she left no room for weaknesses.

Catching her breath she saw the green capes start to surround her and realised she couldn't get out of this. So she did the only thing she thought would get her out of the situation alive.

"Don't move or I swear this guys gonna end up like the rest of your regiment." She threatened hoping they wouldn't see through her bluff. The scouts ignored her until commander Erwin came into eyesight.

"Hold your positions" he ordered.

'Wait was this actually working' she thought.

"So you're the fox of the underground, we know about your crimes against humanity and I must say, though your acting is impeccable it won't work. You see even if you do kill humanity's strongest, you will remain surrounded and will likely be executed for killing him." He said in an all knowing tone. Kaya's plan was starting to back fire. She was panicking on the inside but tried to keep a neutral face.

'By the walls! I just threatened to kill humanity's strongest soldier, and on top of that, I just beat him in a fight.' Her mind was going crazy she didn't know what to say.

"Fortunately for you I have a proposal."

Kaya's shock was now made visible. 'What the fuck is going on'

"You can join the scouting legion, or you can pay for your crimes. Which will you choose." He beckoned, awaiting the amber eyed girl to respond.

Kaya started to think about her decision. She could join the scouts and likely be exposed as a ghoul, or she could rot in a cell and go on a ghoul rampage. Either way there were no positives. Her secret would be found out in both situations.

"Fine" She answers. "But don't expect me to die a meaningless death." She says as she looks back down at humanity's strongest soldier. Her eyes widen as she realises that she still has him restrained.

"You can get off me now, tch" He says making Kaya flinch and quickly get up. She held out her hand towards the captain as a form of apology but that was soon given a sharp slap away as he got up and dusted himself off.

"You're shorter than I expected you to be" she thinks aloud. Gaining a few gasps, Kaya tries to play off her mistake and act like she was meant to say that. Captain Levi sends a deathly glare towards the ghoul, but she stands her ground and sends him a glare just as sinister.

"Great!" He shouts, his voice ringing through Kaya's ears. "Since we have already seen what you are capable of, you won't need to join the training corps. However, we will still need to assess your ability to kill titans."

Kaya nods in agreement. Although Kaya doesn't really need to kill titans because they have no interest in ghouls, she still wants to be able to have that skill. After all, she is now officially a member of the scouts.

Commander Erwin orders for the scouts to head back to their base above ground and the thought had only just stumbled upon her. 'I will finally have citizenship above ground? This is a dream come true' she thinks. Even though she is mesmerised by the future ahead of her, she can't help but overthink the situation she had brought upon herself. She was glad she had her emergency satchel of special teabags, but she only had enough to last her two months at the most. Being a ghoul, Kaya is required to eat flesh otherwise she could lose the ounce of humanity she still has in her, so from a young age her parents taught her how to make a discrete drink that has small traces of dissolved flesh.

When Kaya made it to the top of the stairwell, her lungs could instantly sense the change. It was like a whole new feeling, the air was fresh and she could feel the wind push through her hair. This was also Kaya's first time time seeing the sun and feel its natural warmth radiating through her body. Despite her eyes stinging from the brightness, Kaya was enjoying every moment of it.