Chapter 11- The Sketchbook

Arrogant as hell
But I'll live to tell
At least we had ourselves to believe in
I've been waiting for a sign
To let you know that
We are running out of time
Now I'm waiting here tonight
I need to tell you somehow
I'm nervous and your guards down
I know that you're the one
I play it safe
But I know there's something I should say
I just want you
Would you want me too
- Here Tonight • Oh, Weatherly

Soon enough, the Dawn Treader was sailing between a series of green covered islands. James noticed how beautiful it happened to be, and smiled. All conflicts had been subdued, as more important things were now on their minds.

     Caspian had taken hold of his telescope once again, and looked to the largest of the islands. He was focused for a short time.

  "It looks uninhabited." He said, finally. "But if the Lords followed the most east, they would have stopped here." James rubbed Caspian's shoulder, knowing that everything would be putting pressure on him. If he could offers some comfort, everything would be worth it.

  "Could be a trap." Drinian commented.

  "Anything could be a trap," James detracted from the pessimism. "But that's never stopped us before."

  "It could hold some answers." Edmund offered, as helpfully as he could. "Caspian?"

  Passing the telescope to his partner, the Telamarine King replied with conviction. "We'll spend the night on shore, and scour the island in the morning."

  "Aye, Your Majesty."

     At that, the crew started to do everything they were supposed to, so that they could efficiently arrive at the shore, as Caspian wanted. Before James was bustled into the boat, he ran to where he slept, and searched for his sketchbook. He'd an idea, one he wanted to go through with, if he could. With him, attached to the leather bound cover, was a charcoal pencil.

    When they arrived on the islands edge, in longboats, there was much to be done. However, by command of Caspian, James was to be exempt from it all. Because of all of the trauma he'd experienced in the last island they'd visited, the dark haired King had placed himself in charge of James' well-being personally.

    Caspian was certainly committed. James couldn't fault that.

     Eventually, when all that needed to done, had been, and they had eaten, James was finally able to convince Caspian to relax.

  "Sit here." The blonde had directed the brunette, pointing to a spot of grass. The sun hit it perfectly, and when Caspian sat, it made his skin radiate a glowing warmth.

  With a chuckle, the King replied. "What are you doing, James?"

  He shrugged. "Does it matter? You love my company."

  "That I do." Caspian agreed, pulling back some of the strands of his half tied hair. James loved it.

     When he was in Narnia with Caspian the first time, he'd not have dared to tie his hair that way. However, now, with confidence, he did what he wished. The eldest Pevensie was enthralled by the look, and was regularly captivated. Though, Caspian had always been able yo captivate James. It was one of his many talents.

    "What are you doing?"

  With a shy look, the blonde looked to Caspian. "I wanted to draw you."

  "To draw me?"

"If- if that's alright with you." James stuttered, his eyes dropping to his scarred hands. He'd forgotten to even consider if that was something Caspian wanted.

  "Of course it's alright with me."

  "Really?"

  "Yes." Grinned the King.

     With that, James began to sketch. It was nothing like it seemed to be when it was from memory. This time, Caspian was not apart of him imagination. Instead, there he was. Caspian was real, and he was stunning.

     Every mark was caring. It was not one of those where he was furious to attempt to remember the features of Caspian so that they would be placed perfectly. No. This was one of the times where every movement was crucial. If, one thing was wrong, then maybe, it would all be for nothing.

    But Caspian was everything.

    With time, the King became impatient, and wished to see the so called 'masterpiece' James had been working upon. Tentatively, he turned the page, and revealed a picture of Caspian.

     Breath caught in his throat.

    "I never knew you had a knack for art."

  "Thank you." James was embarrassed by the compliment. "I don't think I did either."

  "I am in awe of you constantly." Said Caspian, putting his hand to James' cheek. Instantly, the boy caved, craving the touch.

  "You flatter me."

  "I only flatter you because you deserve to be." At that, the blonde Pevensie turned a shade of fuchsia.

    Soon the time came for them all to sleep beneath the stars, and around the dying embers of the fire. James found comfort close to Caspian, both his brother and sister in sight as he lay. If anything were to happen, at least he could see everyone he loved dearly.

    Or, at least, that was what James had thought.

     The blonde had fallen asleep to Caspian's snores. He couldn't have known how long he'd been sleeping for, but he did know he woke to the most unpleasant of things. A hand clasped over his mouth.

     James was being kidnapped.

• - - •
924
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.