Chapter 38 - Mariah

Tyler was determined to find a man for Nate. Not because she wanted to get back at Eric for him, but mostly because she wanted Nate to get his mind off his ex-boyfriend. It had taken long for her to eventually move on from Jules, so she knew exactly what he was feeling in his chest. Their plan was that they would approach different groups of people and Nate would either nod his head if his gaydar went off, or shake his head if it didn't for the men Tyler initiated a conversation. At first, Nate shook his head multiple times, even faked a gag as he approach one that was clearly on the football team and would most likely berate him for liking men.

The worst was that Jake had approached them, gripping Nate's shirt from the back of his collar and pulling him in, making Tyler's face instantly fall into a frown as she folded her arms. A drunken Nate rolled his eyes when he realized it was Jake and pulled his hand away from his grasp. "I'm busy."

"Eric has been making out with that girl all night," Jake snorted, pointing to the corner where they were still there practically touching one another but over their clothes. "And I saw the way you looked at them; that bothers you, doesn't it?"

"What do you want, Jake?" Tyler hissed, pushing him a bit further away from Nate who took another swing of his drink, feeling a sudden tightness in his chest. "He told you we're busy."

"Of course I approached you for a reason." In an instant, his arm was around Nate's neck, squeezing him closer as their heads practically touched. At first, Nate attempted to resist but it was clear Jake was much more sober than him, holding him tightly. "One of my friends has been eyeing you."

Nate's eyebrows raised, glancing around the room but not spotting anyone staring at him. "Who?"

"He doesn't go to our school and he's a little older than us." Jake pulled him a bit closer when they felt nearby dancers draw closer to them. "He saw you drinking and thought you were cute. You said you were gay, so..."

"Are you going to tell me who—?"

"It's me." Both of them spun around and Nate was instantly overwhelmed with the smell of cigarette and weed mixed together. The first thing he noticed was a long scar across the side of his chin and that one of his eyes was a pale grey that barely moved when he spoke. The moment Nate's gaze kept contact on his grey eye a little too long, the man pointed to it and sighed, "It's a genetic illness—both my parents lost their eyesight by the age of fifty." His voice was deep and unusually formal, as if he was an old time butler that recently integrated himself back into society. "The name's Thomas, nice to me you." But everything about him was so...charming.

Nate couldn't peel his eyes away; not because he was wooed by himself through his sight, but mostly because his drunken mind wanted anything that could caress him and this man definitely could. Thomas extended his palm, to which Nate gripped firmly, a small smile tugging his lips as Jake swiftly stepped away from them.

"I'm sorry, I had to hurry here before Jake blabbed even more than he already shouldn't have," he laughed, his cheeks growing a light tint of pink.

Nate shook his head. "Don't worry, he didn't say anything bad. I'm Nate."

Thomas nodded his head, glancing at the surrounding and not enjoying being bumped from left and right. Besides, having a few minutes to chat quietly was always the best bet when first meeting someone at a party. Hence he leaned in towards Nate, his lips close to his ear as he asked, "Want to go somewhere quiet to talk?"

***

"There's numerous groups in our area, but the top three that have the most men and are the most dominant are Draco, Wolf and Mariah." Nate slowly nodded his head, reaching for the drink in Thomas' palm that they had been sharing. Thomas let him have it, before instinctively reaching for his waist when a stumbling passerby almost bumped into Nate's back. The way his eyes had sharpen suddenly made Nate's hormones rush. "Jake is apart of Draco's team, where the Hercules families are. You must've heard of Dante."