Chapter 25 - Memories and Nightmares

Summary: It's Link's turn to have nightmares as his mind adapts to his new body. Mila pays a visit to North Hyrule.

Link was deep underwater, and looking upward, he could make out the mirror-like underside of the water's surface along with the sun's light filtering through. But the surface was too far away.

"I won't make it! I'm not going to make it!" Link thought as he swam upward with all his strength, but he was still too far away. His lungs felt about to burst, and he realized he was going to drown.

Then he jerked awake, took a gasp of air, and looked around. It was nighttime, and he was home, floating in the slumber pool in their room. He sighed with relief, but his sudden movement had awoken Mipha beside him.

"Another nightmare?" said Mipha as she reached out and caressed his cheek once, then put her arm around him.

"Yes," said Link as he reached out and returned her embrace. "I'm sorry I woke you."

"It's okay, sweetheart. I want you to wake me."

They held each other quietly for a moment, and then Mipha spoke.

"The scientist said this might happen for a while."

"I know," said Link. "But it's been three weeks now since the transformation process completed, and I haven't had a nightmare in four days. I had hoped I had finally gotten over it by now, but obviously, I haven't."

"At least your nightmares are less frequent, and that's an encouraging sign, sweetheart," said Mipha, as they continued to hold each other. "Was it the same dream?"

"Yes. I'm swimming in deep water, doing fine when suddenly I think I need to breathe, that I'm going to drown. I panic, trying desperately to reach the surface, but realize it's too far away. And then I wake up."

He and Mipha had already spoken about nightmares to one of the North Hyrule scientists, and he had explained that nightmares were a possible byproduct of preserving Link's memories. Link recalled a conversation he and Mipha had with the head scientist, Alson, before agreeing to the transformation process.

"There's one other thing we need to discuss," said Alson. "As you know, this is a more thorough transformation than in the past, right down to the cellular level. It would be easier if we could simply ignore your memories, Link, and start you over with a fresh Zora mind. The process would be quicker, less risky, and there would be fewer side effects for you."

"Sorry, Dr. Alson, but that's out of the question," Link answered immediately. "I've gone through losing my memory once before in my life, and it's a horrible experience. I'll accept whatever the risks and side effects are, but I want to awaken with all my feelings and memories intact. I want to remember and love my wife and family as much as I do now. Preserving my memories should be easier anyway, since I already lost so many."

"And that's fine. We will preserve everything," said Alson. "But so that you understand, that means your Zora mind will retain all your thoughts and feelings and memories from when you were a Hylian. It will take time for your mind to align with your new body. I don't mean conscious activities like swimming or eating, things like that. Those will align almost at once. I'm referring to your subconscious mind. It will take time for your subconscious mind to recognize you're not a Hylian anymore."

"How will I experience this?" Link asked. "What are the side effects?

"You may experience moments of panic, especially in your sleep," said Alson. "They can be triggered by recalling activities you did as a Zora that you could not have done as a Hylian."