Chapter 1: Game of Survival

PART I : Saint

──────────────

"We only know war lasts, rain soaks, and cloud sag stormy."

Exposure

- Wilfred Owen

༺═──────────────═༻

"And we're back!" A man with neon pink hair and a matching beard walked to the stage

"And we're back!" A man with neon pink hair and a matching beard walked to the stage. He wore a neon pink suit that had white stripes. Behind him was a huge screen.

The man clasped his hands and skipped to the stage in excitement. Around him, crowds of people, all dressed like exotic birds went wild.

At homes in the Capitol and the career districts, the energy was the same but for the other districts, it was a different story. They sat in with their hands held in a somber haze, praying for the safety of the survivors.

Grinning ear to ear, the man took center stage just as another man dressed in a simple pastel-rose-colored robe handed him a drink.

That man said nothing, it's not like he could. His tongue had been cut off for a crime most heinous, at least that's what the people of Panem' were told when concerning avoxes.

The man in the neon pink gleefully took the drink but paid no attention to the avox. He swirled the light golden liquid in the crystal glass as he waited for the crowd to settle down.

A slow silence fell upon the crowd. They held their hands together in a twisted excitement as they waited with bated breath.

He clapped his hands together. "Happy Hunger Games! I'm Caesar Flickerman here with my 'friend' Claudius Templesmith-" He gestured to another man with bleached light gold hair who just walked onto the stage and dressed in a suit that was decorated with a silver laurel pattern against black. "-but-" He paused. "-you all already know that, the host of the 68th Hunger Games!" The crowd went wild and he gestured to them to quiet down once again. "...Now we're on day twenty-" The crowd awed, some cheered while some gasped. "-I know. I know, time flies when we're having so much fun."

"It does. Doesn't it?" Claudius chimed as Caesar nodded.

Caesar walked over to the screen and clicked his fingers. Instantly the screen flashed to five faces, each appearing one by one. The pictures arranged themselves neatly on the screen. Caesar grinned proudly as he watched the screen. The crowd booed as their least favorites came on, and cheered when their favorites came on.

Claudius clapped a few times to hush the crowd. The crowd hushed a little. He gestured two fingers to the stagehands behind the cameras and two comfortable armchairs started to appear from below the stage.