Five

"You must get married sometime soon." Cirian's stepmother, Queen Isabelle, said casually. He rolled his eyes, and prepped himself for the "it's your responsibility as future ruler" speech. He got one of these lectures when ever there wasn't an ellegible lady available to join them for lunch or mid-morning tea. He sighed. He could be hunting, or even conversing with Fyra. Anything but another heated speech from her majesty the Queen.

"You are the future ruler of the realm. With that honor comes a duty," she continued, right on cue. "You must provide stability, and for stability, you need heirs, and for heirs you need a wife!" She was practically boiling over now. His stepmother always did have a short fuse.

He replied, "Stepmother, I don't plan on marrying any time soon, especially not some cotton-headed fool of a noble."

Isabella sighed. "You are not thinking of marrying for love are you? Now that's a rare thing! Especially in court. No, you will find a woman who benefits our country. A noblewoman. Or, if you don't want to marry a rich noble, we could always arrange a marriage between you and one of the foreign princesses. One who probably won't even speak common tongue." She rubbed her temples and cursed the idealistic boy for being so difficult. It wasn't as if Henry, the tyrant of a king, had any love for her. Sleeping with any courtesan and "Lady" who would spread her legs had proved that much to her. He had even taken a mistress that she never had bothered to learn the name of.

Cirian just couldn't see that she honestly wanted what was best for him. Marriage and an heir would secure his future reign, and help quash any rebellion. Her husband and stepson may believe she was a pretty idiot, but she knew about the unrest that was looming above the kingdom. Henry was tampering with things bettet left alone, and it was pushing the people over the edge. Among other, darker reasons, high taxes, raised excecution rates, and lust for power was making Aceria vunerable. And worst of it all, the little she could do to help her people was gone after Henry had quashed her influence in court.

If she could only make the boy see that she did love him, like her own child, and wanted him to grow into the good man and king she knew he would be. If Cirian didn't take charge, she feared the kingdom would fall to ruin.

Suddenly, an idea popped into her mind. "What about this new lady friend of yours that I've been hearing all about but never seen?" She slowly smiled as Cirian rubbed the nape of his neck, looking nervous. "Is she your lover?" She asked.

Cirian sputtered and nearly spit his food all over his stepmother. Fyra, his lover? He thought of her delicate face, and wide emerald eyes, and the fierceness they held when she was angry. As beautiful as she was, he couldn't imagine her giving herself to anyone, let alone him.

"No!" He snapped. "She is just a friend."

"Of course, you should have her dine with is sometime. As a friend, of course" said the Queen.

•••

Fyra was wandering around Castle Bluedale. She was so bored. It seemed like all she really did these days was sit up in her rooms. She wandered from hall to hall until she came upon a group of giggling ladies. They were wearing so much gaudy jewelry and makeup that they looked like dolls rather than women. The flashiest of the bunch looked at her and frowned. She was unbelievably pretty. She somehow managed to make the excess makeup and jewelry fashionable. Like a doll, Fyra kept thinking.

Lily, the leader of their little gaggle, flipped one of her perfect blond curls over her shoulder. She wondered if this... girl was the "guest" of the prince. She held back a bark of laughter. Plain, short and positively boring.

"Hello," She jeered, taking a jab at the girl, "are you a servant? Would you in bringing a glass of wine up to my rooms? The ladies and I were just heading up there." She smiled sweetly. To Lily's surprise, instead of being offended or angry, the girl just laughed.

"Sorry, My lady, but I'm not a servant." Fyra told her coolly. She was wearing a plain light green dress, with a high collar and long sleeves. The dress was clearly not the uniform every servant and maid was required to wear. And not to mention that she had two guards trailing behind her.

It was clear that the Lady was trying to get to her, and Fyra wasn't going to let her. She'd met girls like his before. They would be pompous and rude, and wanted to get under her skin. The two women behind her shifted nervously.

"My name is Fyra, just enchanted to meet you."

Lily regained her composure after her initial shock, remarking with false sweetness, "I am Lady Lilian, just call me Lily." She smiled. "I'm terribly sorry," she went on, making it clear she wasn't, "would you like to join us for a glass?"

"I wouldn't want to impose--" Fyra muttered, growing uncomfortable. She didn't want to get involved with this girl, or any of her "higher class" drama. She seemed like nothing but trouble.

"Nonsense dear!" She protested. Lily took hold of Fyra's arm and steered her down the hall. "I insist! Come on girls lets go!" Fyra sighed and went along. As they walked down the hall, Lily introduced her to the other two Ladies. The petite and shy looking girl was named Maybelle, and the girl with jet black hair was called Kimberly. Lily couldn't stop talking about fashion and makeup and jewelry. Fyra felt like the pointless conversation went in one ear and out the other. Maybelle was very quiet, only nodding and mumbling. Kimberly hung off of every word Lily said, and clearly idolized her. Fyra prepared for a very boring night.

•••

Cirian was walking down the hall, heading to meet his family for dinner. They dined together every night, and eventually he would have to introduce Fyra, his "mystery guest".

She almost never came out of her room and stepmother wanted to meet her. He sighed. He was sure she would clash with his father if acted as rebellious and outspoken as she was when he was around. If she refused to address him properly...he shuddered. It wouldn't be pretty.

Rounding a corner, he saw a group of four ladies. He paused and watched them walk in his direction. They didn't see him yet. He smiled as he realized that one of the ladies was Fyra. At least she was making friends.

Or perhaps not. She looked gloriously bored, a vacant expression on her face. She wore the plainest dress the seamstress had made her, and she wore none of the jewelry that had been in the box in her room.

Yet she was the most striking. She wasn't even trying. He didn't realize he was staring until her eyes met his.

Seeing the prince striding down the hallway, Fyra stopped and curtsied. When the other ladies gathered that they had just met the prince in the hall, they hastily dropped into curtsies as well. He recognized Lady Lillian, Lady Maybelle, and Lady Kimberly.

"Hello ladies." He said. He smiled politely. "I was just on my way to dinner. I hope you are having a lovely day." Fyra met his gaze and mouthed "lovely" sarcastically. He held back a grin.

Lady Lily's lips curled into a coy smile. "We having a wonderful day, Lord Prince," she purred,"we were on our way to my chambers to have a glass. I know that you should be dining with the esteemed King and Queen...but would you care to join us?" Fyra looked as if she was doing her best to conceal a laugh.

"Of course Lady Lily, I will leave dinner a little early." He promised. Fyra smiled and he winked at her.

"Wonderful! You know where to find my chambers?" She inquired. He nodded. They all curtsied again and he gave a small bow. He walked past them, brushing Fyra's arm as he passed. It would be fun to spend some time with her.

•••

A/N: Thanks so much for reading! I will try to update as much as I can, I have a few chapters written but I just need to edit them.

What do you think of the new characters?

Side note: I know Lily seems like a stereotypical mean girl but there is more to her than meets the eye! 

Please comment and vote!