chapter 60- crime and punishment

"thank you so much again, niki... and i'm so sorry again for this all being so last minute. i don't know what i would've done without you," i say as i move all of our stuff to niki's car.

"it's no problem! i really hope she likes it." she opens the trunk of her car and i unload everything back there before getting back in the front seat.

"what time are you picking her up?" niki asks as she turns on the ignition.

"noon. and it's an hour and a half drive to london. i'm glad i'm already ready."

"oh jeez, you're cutting it close. i'll run the red lights to get you back on time."

"no! please don't do that. i'd rather get to her place late than not go at all."

"why wouldn't you go at all?"

"because we'll both be dead from you running the lights?"

niki laughs as she drives me back to my apartment safely.

after i get back, i thank niki for the ride and immediately start unloading everything into my car. i'm giving myself an hour and forty minutes to drive to aubrey's apartment, just in case i hit a bit of traffic. i shuffle my playlist and listen to the music as i drive past the scenery, and i try my best to plan the day out in my head.

i know i have a picnic planned for today, but is there anything else i can do? preferably something we haven't done yet?

a movie? already done that.

flower-picking? already done that. on vlog, might i add.

music? she's heard everything already.

i groan and attempt to shake this feeling off. i'll think of something later. besides, everything is much more meaningful when it's in the spur of the moment, right?

after the long drive i finally make it to aubrey's apartment complex. i take the elevator up to her room and knock on her door. she answers almost immediately, and it takes a lot to keep my jaw from falling to the floor.

she looks drop dead gorgeous, as per usual. her outfit today consists of a black button up polo, with a black letterman jacket on top of it, dark blue mom jeans, and black platform high top converse. i smile as her amazing scent fills my nostrils and she looks up at me with her big, doe eyes and charismatic smile.

she attacks me in a hug right after opening the door. i don't hesitate to hug her back as she buries her cheek into my chest. hopefully not too close to my chest, though, or else she'll hear my heart beating a million times per minute.

"hi," she mutters quietly. i laugh as my fingers graze through her hair.

"hi," i reply.

"i really like this sweater. it's soft." she references my beige sweater and i laugh.

"i'm very glad you like it" is what i say out loud. in my head i'm profusely thanking phil for sending the sweater to me for my birthday last year.

"shall we head out?" i ask.

"one more minute," aubrey replies, wrapping her arms around me tighter.

i nod, because who am i to complain?

"whatever you say."

the two of us eventually break apart and get to my car. aubrey gets in the front and buckles in while i check the trunk to make sure everything is intact.

"can i ask what's back there?" she calls from the front seat. she swivels her head around to look at me, and i shake my head.

"you'll see it soon enough," i say. she pouts.