5

Against his mother's wishes, Howard stayed and caught his mom. He managed to get her back to Avengers compound. She was taken to the medical section and thanks to some of the staff she was able to stabilize and recover. "Mom," Howard said as he say his mom begin to wake up, "mom can you tell me where we are?" Mandy sat up, "did your brother make it back?" Howard shook his head no. Mandy through the blankets off of her and began pulling the IV's from her arm, "where are the others?" Howard tried to stop his mom but couldn't. "Howard you're just a kid and I wanted to keep you away from my life but now I can't. Your brother is gone... we need to get to the others cause far worse things are coming to Earth."

Howard went and stood in front of the door, "Mom!" Howard raised his hands to stop Mandy, "you want to help but you can't do that if you're dead. You got shot out of the sky. Let them look at you and when the doctors clear you will go get on the computers and find Steve." Mandy stepped back and sat on the bed, "I need to find him." Howard walked up to his mom and took her hand, "Friday began tracking the trajectory of the ship when they left. She's still working on it. Peppers gonna be here in about an hour. Please," Howard placed his hand on Mandy's shoulder, "relax till then. You don't need to be strong all the time."

Mandy laid back and began to rest. It would be hours before pepper would arrive but in the end it wouldn't matter. Every use of the gauntlet caused Mandy excruciating pain and when the snap came Mandy would disappear along with half of life across the known universe and the next.

When Steve returned to the compound he found Howard on his knees crying. "He's been there for days sir," said Friday. Steve went and got on his knees in front of Howard, "where's your mom?" Howard looked to Steve and in that moment Steve knew everything he needed. Steve quickly pulled Howard into his arms and held him close. "Why her?" Steve thought to himself. "How do we get my mom back?" Steve stayed quiet, "I don't know but first we start with finding your brother. He's the smartest man I know and if he's... he'll have an idea of what to do."

The two got up then walked to Tony's lab where they found Natasha plugging in a beacon she had found from Fury's last known location. The team was ready and he'll vent to avenge everything but failed attempts would lead to 5 years down the road.

———

Steve, Scott and Natasha got out of the car in front of Stark Cabin when Howard walked out. "Hey kid!" Said Steve walking up to him. "Hi dad," said Howard with a smile, "what bring you out this way?" Scott spoke up, "we need your brother." Howard motioned for the three to follow him to a seating area on the porch. He then went in to get Tony.

The 5 sat down to talk and were told the plan that Scott had come up with. "It won't work," said Howard. Natasha looked to Howard, "isn't there something we can do?" Howard got up, "if you go to the past then your past becomes the future. That back to the future shit doesn't happen." Howard left inside. When the door closes behind him, "you both asked me once to keep an eye on him in the event something happened to you both. Steve," Tony got up, "I got my second chance right inside. I can't, no I won't screw that up." The others stood up as Natasha laid a file down, "just look it over. If you can help us make it then will do the rest." Tony was about to pick it up when Morgan ran out and jumped into Tony's arms, "Mommy sent me out here to rescue you." Tony kissed Morgan's head, "consider me rescued." Tony looked to Steve, "I am not going to break my promise to her. She may not of been my mother but she treated me as if I was her son and I won't fail her." Steve nodded then the three left as Tony and Morgan went inside.

Later that night Tony found Howard looking through the files in the lab. "You too?" Said Tony as he went and sat by Howard. "Is it really possible?" Asked Howard. "Could we bring them back?" Tony placed his hand on Howard's shoulder, "Howie, Howard. I will look into it kid and while I do, you need to get some sleep. Howard got mad and threw the papers off the table, "all these powers and all this strength and all I could do was watch her die." Tony went and grabbed Howard and pulled him in for a hug, "first we're going to come up with a plan to get them back then you and I are going to talk about these supposed powers."

Howard walked away from Tony as he said, "I was given a gift and life by some chance miracle. Before I was even a thought the powers at will decided that I be sent to be a counter balance to my mother with no real understanding of when or how. Then human beings fell into the possession of the tesseract. The first to gain a sliver of power was Bucky Barnes. On a rescue mission my mother gained the powers she has now. I came soon after, but as history knows she went down in the ice." Tony walked up to Howard, "why does this matter?" Howard looked to his hands, "because this was never meant to happen. We, my mother and I, have been gifted access to other worldly things." Tony interrupted, "how does Barnes play into this?" Howard looked up and smiled, "because I took his place and like I said 'when or how.' I was already on the way when Mandy was shot. She just didn't know it and as I absorbed the powers my growth slowed down," Howard let out a chuckle, "I should be 80 years old by now. I should of grown up as your older brother Tony. Got into trouble with you. I'm nearly 30 years older than you and yet here we are. All this power and I can't do anything with it."

Tony pulled Howard in for a hug, "if you were set to counter balance Mandy, why did you disappear either?" The two took a step back, "perhaps because Bucky is dead too. I do not know exactly how that works. I just know I can't sense him anymore." Tony walked back over to the table where Howard had been sitting, "he killed my parents. I can't just forgive that." Howard walked up to Tony, "I know Tony. He killed my father and I'm angry too, but it's not up to us. It has been and will always be up to her." The two looked to each other, "let get to work."

———

Waking up in the compound would give Mandy a strange chill. The place had been nearly abandoned. The avengers took it as their home and one day, 5 years later, Mandy would come face to face with her son and Steve. "It worked," yelled Steve through the coms. He ran up to Mandy and pulled her in for a kiss, "it worked." Mandy closed her eyes, "how long?" Steve let her go to hug Howard, "5 years. How are you feeling?"

The remaining avengers came running and when Tony saw Mandy he cried, "mom?" Mandy walked up to Tony, "thank you." Mandy pulled Tony in for a hug. "Welcome home Ms. stark," said rhodey. Mandy let go of Tony, "suits. Now." Tony activated the suit as the compound was hit by a weapon. A weapon that would spark the fight of their lives and in the end the ultimate sacrifice had been made.

Tony lay propped up against debris out of view from the others. Mandy would be the first to find him and call the others over, "hang in their Tony, they're almost here." Tony looked to Mandy as she made room for pepper and Peter. Good bye never seemed to be in her play book and Tony knew that so he fought to stay. "It's ok sweet boy. You can rest now." Tony looked to pepper and in moments the lights fade. Soldiers, kings, and gods knelt down before the hero that saved the universe.

———
Several months later
———

"Grandma Stark," said a young Morgan running up to Mandy. Morgan jumped in Mandy's arms, "grandma please don't be sad." Mandy tried to laugh it off but deep down she knew she had been caught crying, "I'm ok baby girl." Morgan placed her hands on Mandy's face, "this isn't good bye. Simply see you later and you'll see him again." Mandy pulled Morgan in for a hug, "how did you get to be so smart." Morgan laughed before wiggling out of Mandy's arms and running over to Peter and Howard.

"Dinner will be ready soon," said Pepper walking passed Mandy, "are you sure it's ok with us staying with you." Pepper stopped and looked to Mandy, "always. You are my family. I want you here." Mandy smiled then went to join the others.

-the end-