Chapter 16 - Missing Patrol

When Rogue Squadron had landed safely back on Hoth after the successful mission at Fondor, Nomi jumped out of her X-wing, followed by her faithful astromech Fuzzy.
She looked around and saw that the mechanics were working on the snowspeeders already. The pilot smiled, seeing that their efforts weren't in vain, as she walked toward the exit to head for her quarters. On the way she passed members of the ground forces who were just on the way to an exercise. She felt tired, but also very happy that everything went according to plan.
When she entered her quarters they were empty. Nomi had noticed that the Outrider wasn't there, but she had thought that it might stand at another spot. So Dash had actually left her, not being able to accept her decision to fight against the Empire. She sat down at the small table and put her head in her hands. Fuzzy rolled over giving a row of beeps that sounded like a question.
"No, everything is alright," she responded, being well aware that it was a lie. Nothing was alright if it came to her relationship with Dash Rendar. The man she loved was gone it seemed and she wouldn't see him ever again. She sighed and stood up. To sit there wouldn't bring him back, so she decided to take a walk in the hallways of Echo Base to clear her mind. Her astromech seemed to be satisfied by her answer and rolled over to the loading station to recharge, as she walked to the door, opened it and left.

Outside she noticed a certain degree ofcommotion and wondered what was going on. There wasn't any alarm sound, so itcouldn't be an attack. She stopped one of those passing by.
"What's going on?" She asked with a worried expression.
The man looked at her surprised.
"Haven't you heard? Luke Skywalker didn't come back from patrol," he answeredher question before he resumed his pace.
Nomi frowned. Luke didn't come back? This was bad news. If he wouldn't be foundsoon, he would freeze to death. But there was nothing she could do, except tocross her fingers. Slowly she made her way back to her quarters, knowing thatthe shield doors would be closed soon and then there wouldn't be any way tohelp Luke. The young pilot shivered and not only because of the cold here atEcho Base. After eating some ration bars which she downed with tea, Nomi wentover to the cot and slid under the blanket. It didn't take long and she fellasleep.

When she woke the next morning she had a quick breakfast before she made herway to the command center. As she entered the room she saw Wedge and walkedover to him.
"Any news if it comes to Luke, Wedge?" She asked, looking expectantly at hercommander.
Antilles shrugged.
"There's nothing yet. Neither by Luke nor by Han, who went out to search forhim just before the shield doors were closed. You know that the odds forsurvival are limited after nightfall. But nevertheless there are a fewsnowspeeders on the way and looking for them," he responded with a worriedexpression.
"So the speeders are finally functional? This is good to know, Wedge. Hopefullythey will find both alive," she said and she meant it. To lose her childhoodfriend would have been a major blow for her.
Nomi heard parts of the radio traffic between the snowspeeder pilots and thecommand center.
They were flying over the ice plains, but had foundnothing so far, but they weren't ready to give up on the search. The rebelpilot listened intently and crossed her fingers.
"Echo Base...this is Rogue Two. I found them. Repeat, I found them," ZevSenesca's voice was to be heard.
Those who were in the command center cheered and General Rieekan gave orders to prepare the med bay.

Nomi had only a short glimpse at Luke when he was carried to the med bay. Theyoung man looked fairly beaten up and was unconscious. The former smugglerraised an eyebrow and wanted to follow, when Han Solo stopped her grabbing herarm. He held a mug of tea in the other hand.
"You would be only in the way, Nomi," he said and took a sip of the hot liquid."I'm glad I found the kid. Kark, it was cold out there. My Tauntaun didn't makeit and I cut its belly with Luke's lightsaber and gutted it before I put myfriend in to keep him warm until I erected the shelter. The kid must have hadnightmares. He mumbled the whole night two words: Dagobah and Yoda. I've noidea what this meant."
The Corellian shrugged and took another sip of tea which he had enhanced with agood quantity of Corellian brandy as Nomi could tell by the scent of it.
"I'm glad Zev found us in time," he said, with an expression of distaste. "Idon't want to experience this for a second time."
Nomi nodded her head.
"I can imagine this, Han," the young woman responded and left Solo alone, asshe made her way back to her quarters. Luke was alive and it was taken care ofhim by the medical droid
2-1B, which was the only medical aid they had at Echo Base. They would put himin the bacta tank and he would regain his health soon. This was really goodnews and the worry was now replaced by optimism.