Chapter 7

Sidharth!"
Shehnaaz calls as she enters his study. He sits behind the desk, looking outside. He has a book in his hand but he is not reading it.
A house without windows by Nadia Hashimi.
"Hey are you busy?"
"Hmm.. me? You are forgetting, I don't work. "
He says with a smile.

Shehnaaz shakes her head,
"You have a business to run. It's just a matter of days then you will be too busy to even think about me."
"No. That's never happening."
Sidharth stands up and walks towards her. He stands right in front of her and stares into her eyes.
"No matter what I do, how busy I get, I can never stop thinking about you."
Shehnaaz looks back at him,
"I have to go, Sidharth."
"With Saivi di?"
"Yes, for now. But I mean, I have to return to Uttarakhand."

Sidharth takes a step back.
"Why?"
"I had come to give my statement. My work here is over. I had taken a few days off. Now I have to return back and join the hospital."
He shakes his head,
"No.. no.. please..don't.. "
"Sidharth, you know I have a job. If I don't go, I will lose it. Phir kya karungi mai?"
Shehnaaz walks towards him.

"You can find a job here. You can stay here and work. Don't go."
"Sidharth, try and understand. I can't stay here. What will people say? The defence attorney will talk rubbish about us. Your case will get hampered. I can't do that."
She tries to touch his face but he moves back.
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry.. You are right, you must go. Your work here is over. Right.. Why would you stay here? When are you leaving then? Tomorrow? I will tell Rahul to book your tickets. You must go. You must.."
Sidharth walks out of the room.

He sits on his bed, a sharp pain rises inside his chest. He looks at the window and tears flow out of his eyes.

"Ratan! "
Shehnaaz entered the tiny dark room. He sat on the floor, his legs drawn up to his chest. She turns the light on and he gets startled.
"Ratan, are you okay?"
"I am not sure, Shehnaaz ji. I don't know."
She comes and sits beside him on the floor.
"Kuch kha lo, chalo. You haven't eaten anything since yesterday."
"No, I don't feel like eating anything."
"Ratan, won't you listen to me? I have made Roti and sabji. You must eat or else.."
"Or else what? Tabiyat kharab ho jayegi, Mar jaunga? No, I won't die so easily. Otherwise I wouldn't have survived the accident. But now what will I do? You said I have my father who loves me. Even if I don't remember anything, he will be there. Now he is gone. I am all alone now. I am.."

Shehnaaz held his hand and says,
"You have me. I will not leave you. I promise."
He looked up,
"Shehnaaz ji, aap Sach bol rahi hai?"
She smiled,
"Do I lie? No na. Then? I will take you with me if I go. I will always be with you. I promise."

"Wada kiya tha tum ne,
Saath mera kabhi na chhodoge.
Phir kyun dur jana hai tumhe,
Kyun faisla kiya hai, mera dil yun todoge.

Janta hun main yeh,
Tumhara layak nahi hun main.
Shayad isiliye tumhe jana hai.
Par khud ko samjha na paa raha hun main."

Sidharth sits on the bar stool, looking at the glass filled with a golden coloured liquid. Shehnaaz walks inside and stands beside him.
"Are you drinking?"
She asks as her eyes fall on the glass placed in front of him. Sidharth smirks and picks up the glass. He thinks once and drinks it.
"Sidharth!"
He pours himself another drink ignoring her.
"Stop drinking. Why are you doing this?"

He turns to face her,
"Why haven't you left yet? Saivi di has gone. You must leave now. Should I get you a ride? You must leave.."
He picks up the phone on the side and calls the security. Shehnaaz cuts the call by snatching the phone away from him.
"I will. First you put the glass down and go to sleep."