Chapter 8: Ghosts in the night

"Please remain calm and stay in your rooms

"Please remain calm and stay in your rooms."

A robotic monotone voice of a faceless woman echoed throughout the entire train. She sounded eerily calm yet stern and cold like a machine pretending to be warm and hospitable.

"Please remain calm and stay in your rooms."

The same sentence had been repeating for the past few hours since the train had stopped. It had almost been drilled into Sera's mind now and she could only think of it whenever she shut her eyes.

At first she couldn't hear what she or it was saying. She squinted her eyes in an attempt to focus her senses and relaxed. The words were quiet at first before it paused for a second and then continued a little louder. It was telling the passengers to remain calm and stay in their cars. She kept waiting for the second part to be repeated as well but louder. It never happened.

The second part of the statement was not repeated after the volume of the recording was increased like it didn't matter what the second part was. She had a small belief the erased second part was the reasoning for the train stopping. It was like they didn't care if the passengers knew why there was a sudden stop.

Craning her head back, she checked the clock on the wall behind her. It was still evening and early for her to go to bed. She pushed herself off the bed and ignored the dull voice and peered outside the window.

From the window, she could see they stopped near a wooded mountainous area with a lake nearby. The area felt like home for her.

District 5 was the district of lakes and mountains after all but this was not District 5. She believed they were still on the outskirts of the Capitol mere hours away from it too. If she remembered anything from her limited time in school, it was the geography of Panem. Capitol was surrounded by mountains like 5. It was why it was so hard to attack, something they took advantage of in the Dark Days.

"Please remain calm and stay in your rooms."

She lay in bed now, staring out the half-covered window, wondering when the recording would stop and the train would start again. The longer the train was at a stand still, the longer it would take her to get home and she really wanted to get home as soon as she could. She wanted to spend as much time as she could with her family before the tour began.

Her eyes drooped before they fluttered back open when the voice repeated the sentence once again. Nodding along to the voice and she clutched her pillow tight, burying her face into it.

Her eyes drooped again as she felt her head feel lighter and her limbs looser. Breathing out, she pulled at her covers and turned away from the window. Her eyes were still shut in fear of losing the little sleep that was finally coming to her. She stilled for a moment and counted backwards from twenty.

One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eigh-

Clang.

A sharp clanging sound interrupted her counting.