[13]: rick grimes

We hadn't heard from the CB, and there was nothing we could do but wait and see if they made it out. The worst is, that they could all die... but let's look on the bright side here.

I didn't have Carl to talk too. Amy was too paranoid to be talked to, and Carol was busy making food with Sophia. All I could do was try to find some clothes to fix, it seemed it was all I had to offer to this group.

My ears pricked up to the sound of a car alarm.

"Dale!" I shouted, looking to where the cars normally drove up to. We waited in anticipation, and Dale told us it was a stolen car as it approached, causing the alarm to get louder.

Carl stood next to me, so I covered his ears. He didn't protest, he simply wrapped his small hands around mine, pushing them tighter to his ears.

Soon enough Glenn walked out of the car, and my mind was washed with relief at the sight of him, but I was confused about where the others were.

The alarm was soon stopped and Glenn explained that everyone was okay.

"-well Merle, not so much," he said, and that made me quite worried. I knew that I would be the person eventually nominated to tell him, since I knew him better than anybody else.

I left Carl's side and walked over to Glenn. He looked glum as he was being told off by the men, so I hugged him tightly. I let go when another car emerged from where he had come. It was a U-Haul van - another stolen car.

Everyone reunited with whoever had a family. I looked behind me and saw Carl crying with his mother knelt in front of him. I knew it was hard for him to not see his dad walk up that path. To be reunited.

Glenn and I would always greet each other. He was one of my best friends, and he didn't have anyone else.

I looked back to see the rest walk out the van - Amy and Andrea hugging tightly as theywere relieved to see each other again.

It seemed that no one else would be walking out of the van, but Glenn said there was a new guy. I waited to see who it was in silence.

The man placed his hands on his hips, sighing as he approached slowly. He was looking anywhere but towards us. He was dressed in a sheriff's uniform, but it looked old and worn, and a little covered in blood.

As soon as his eyes faced us, his face fell slightly. It was the look you give someone, once you've found them, or once you were reunited. I knew that look too well, I had seen it many times in the movies, and in the apocalypse.

He stood in one spot, and I looked behind me to see who he was looking at. He was looking at Carl and Lori. That's when it hit me... this was the famous Rick Grimes, whom the young sir had told me all about.

+

"Disoriented. I guess that comes closest. Disoriented. Fear, confusion, all those thangs, but... disoriented comes closest," Rick said, as he clutched he newly found wife and son in his arms. We were all gathered round one of the campfires, listening to how he came here.

I crossed my arms in my big jacket, which I had been taking off and on all day, but I was definitely leaving it on, as it would always get slightly colder in the night.

"Words can be meagre things," Dale complained, as he set his cup on the floor, "Sometimes they fall short,"

"I felt like I'd been ripped out of my life and put somewhere else. For a while I thought I was trapped in some coma dream, something I might not wake up from, ever."

"Mom said you died," Carl said from below him.

"She had every reason to believe that. Don't you ever doubt it,"

Rick talked more about his escape from a coma, and the overrun hospital. I honestly was so tired, I was going to fall on Amy's shoulder next to me and fall asleep.

There was a dispute with Ed, about his fire, and I didn't want to think anything about him. I didn't want nightmares of Jimmy again.

I had had nightmares that I wouldn't tell anyone about. It wasn't a wake up screaming type of nightmare; it was a wake up with tears all over my face type nightmare. I rarely remembered what they were about, but I knew they were somewhat about Jimmy.

My attention was awoken when Dale said, "Have you given any thought to Daryl Dixon? Hewon't be happy to hear his brother was left behind."

"I'll tell him. I dropped the key. It's on me." T-Dog bravely announced.

"I cuffed him, that makes it mine," Rick reasoned.

"Guys, it's not a competition. I don't mean to bring race into this," Glenn intervened, "but it mind sound better coming from a white guy."

I frowned. Daryl wasn't racist, so I wasn't really sure what Glenn meant by that.

"I did what I did. Hell, if I'm gonna hide from him," T-Dog said.

"We could lie," Amy said from beside me. I shook my head violently, drunk from the need to sleep.

"Nope, don't do that," I said warningly.

"Yep, we tell the truth. Tell him Merle was out of control, and we hadn't done what we did, he'd have gotten us all killed. Your husband did what was necessary," Andrea voiced.

"And tha's what we tell Daryl?" Dale asked worriedly. "I don't see a rational discussion be had from that, do you?"

There was silence, and I decided to speak up.

"I'll tell him," I said proudly.

"And who are you?" Rick asked politely.

"Marley... It was me, Daryl and Merle surviving before we found this camp,"

"You their sister?"

"Nope, I'm Van Allan, not Dixon" I laughed, "I just got lucky. I'd be dead if they hadn't found me. I'll tell him,"

"I don't know abo-"

"Look it doesn't matter who tells him... but just maybe he won't try to kill me like he would you. He doesn't even know you," I reasoned tiredly, ready to get to bed.

Everyone was silent.

"I stopped long enough to chain that door. Staircase is narrow. Maybe half a dozen geeks can squeeze against it at any one time. It's not enough to break through it - not that chain, not that padlock." T-Dog said eerily, "My point, Dixon's alive he's still up there, handcuffed on that roof. That's on us," he then got up from his seat and left.

Soon enough we all followed. But Rick stopped me as I was going to walk over to my tent.

"Are you sure, you can handle him?" Rick said, holding his hand out, which I shook.

"He's a hunter... you don't want to be on his bounty list..." I said finally, then I turned and got into my bed.