[12] One Maniac at a Time

YN sighed as she approached the two men, her hands shoved deep into her pockets. She met Sam's eye first, the warm expression on his face making YN's stomach knot and forcing her to avert her gaze to the brunette beside him, his blue eyes like steel compared to Sam's. 

"Where have you been?" Bucky asked, turning abruptly as they walked toward their hire car. "We have things to do." 

YN rolled her eyes as she slid into the back of the car, crossing her arms and sinking low. "Sorry, Dad." She huffed, picking a piece of lint off of her shirt. "I was clearing my head." 

"Give her a break, Buck." Sam murmured, slipping behind the steering wheel and meeting YN's eye in the rearview mirror. YN sent him a small smile of gratitude before crossing her arms, and pulling the sleeves of her leather jacket over her hands. 

"What's the plan?" YN finally said as they drove along the highway, toward the airport. 

"I know what we have to do..." Sam turned his head to frown at Bucky, the silence urging his to continue. "When Isaiah said my people-" 

"Oh, don't take that to heart." Sam interrupted. "He didn't mean it like that." 

"You think he meant HYDRA?" YN said, leaning between them in the car. 

"HYDRA used to be my people." Bucky confirmed, looking out the car window with a small scowl. 

"Not a chance in hell." Sam said, shaking his head. YN leant back crossing her arms, her eyebrows furrowed in thought. "Don't tell me you're actually thinking about agreeing with him." Sam asked, widening his eyes at the woman in the backseat. 

"Walker doesn't have any leads." She shrugged. 

"I know where you're both going with this, no." YN frowned as Sam remained stubborn, her own patience wearing thin. 

"If it gets us closer to taking down Karli's operation, I say we do it." YN countered as Bucky nodded in agreement. "What's your issue?" 

"My issue? This man nearly killed you, YN." YN rolled her eyes, not noticing the fear in Sam's eyes. "He could have had-" Sam shook his head, not even finishing as Bucky stiffened beside him. "Look, he's dangerous and I'm saying no." 

"He knows all of HYDRA's secrets, Sam." Bucky mumbled. 

"Don't you remember Siberia?" Bucky swallowed as he avoided looking back at YN. "So you're just going to go and sit in a room with this guy?" 

Bucky hesitated, his metal hand opening and closing into a fist. "Yep." He finally muttered and YN held back a wince at the obvious cover. 

"Okay," Sam sighed, finally relenting as YN looked away with a furrowed brow. "We're gunna go see Zemo."

---------------------------------

"You think he's alright in there?" Sam asked, pacing in front of YN and running a hand over his head. "Maybe I should have gone with him." 

"Probably not the best idea." YN hummed, flicking the page of the magazine in front of her. "Sit down, you're making me nervous." 

"Oh, that's making your nervous?" Sam grunted, falling into a seat beside her. "I feel like I'm waiting for the death penalty." YN hummed again but didn't answer, cocking her head as she turned another page. 

The silence between them was smothering and YN was beginning to get frustrated with Sam's constant tapping. "What is wrong? God, you're acting like you've never done this before." 

"What? Sit outside while Bucky talks to a serial killer, psychopath? No, I can't say I have done this before." YN rolled her eyes again, shutting the magazine with a huff and turning to Sam.