Chapter 8

"What do you mean you're leaving?!" Link protested, tugging at the sleeves of his hoodie as he watched Twi slip on his sneakers.

"We're just heading out for the day," the older man assured, smiling sympathetically, "It's not like I'm leaving you with two kids for the rest of your life."

"No, I know- it's just," Link shifted his weight awkwardly from foot to foot, "I didn't know until now."

Twi shrugged and grabbed a light jacket from a hook, "We'll be back later tonight. The hardest part will just be convincing the kiddos to go to bed."

"And to eat all their dinner," Dusk added, adjusting the purse slung over her shoulder, "there are some cookies in the freezer you can use as a bribe," she smiled and hooked her arm through Twi's, her smile warm. "This is exciting," she murmured, "I can't even remember the last time we went out."

Link tugged at his bangs, "You're really going out for the whole day?"

"We have a doctor's appointment first," Twi grabbed a set of keys from a bowl, "and it's only for the evening. They've had their lunch and afternoon nap so it should be easy."

"Together?" Link asked, voice growing desperate, "you really have to go together?"

"Fine, Zelda has a doctor appointment and I'm tagging along, and we're gonna go out after," he glanced sidelong at the other Hylian, "why are you getting so worked up about this?"

"Because," Link crept closer, keeping his voice low, "you can't just leave me here with...her."

Twi looked unimpressed, "Ok," he shrugged, clearly not caring very much. He turned to the door, pulling Dusk with him.

"Wait!" Link hissed, latching onto his arm, "please, Twi, I can't-" he trailed off, nodding his head towards the living room where happy squeals were drifting in from the backyard.

"You'll be fine," Twi shrugged him off, "she's not some revolting thing you know."

Link turned to Dusk, eyes pleading. He could tell by the look on her face she understood where he was coming from. Despite how much she was looking forward to date night, she didn't want to leave the two young adults behind.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, hand reassuringly on his shoulder as Twi puller her out the door.

With one last wave and a sympathetic smile, they were gone, Link standing at a loss in the hall. He stared wistfully at the door for a moment, determined to make his brother pay for the pain he was about to endure. With a heavy heart, he turned and walked into the living room, glancing out the large windows at the three figures playing on the swingset. He watched, debating whether or not it would be better for him to go out and help, or run as far as he possibly could.

Link's mind was torn, but his feet were determined. Before he could stop himself, he found that he'd walked through the back door and was on the porch, catching Zelda's attention. He gave an awkward wave as she stared him down. Taking a deep breath of air he crossed the yard, pretending to be interested in the toys scattered about, or the two toddlers she was pushing on the swings, anything to avoid her gaze.

Roh and Zara didn't notice the tension between the two. They happily chatted away, discussing important things like whether or not a dragon could beat a wizard, completely ignorant to Link and Zelda. Both were pointedly looking away from the other, Link taking over behind Zara, rhythmically pushing the back of her swing.

"Sooooo," he dragged out, coughing nervously. Zelda eyed him cautiously, eyes warning him to watch his words. "Flora, huh?" he asked, eyes deciding to blink uncontrollably.