Chapter 1

(A/N: This is a one-shot that was originally in the book 'Fangs, Claws, and... Turkeys?' That book is now on Inkitt (under the name @Presley's_Angel), but this one was left out, so I decided to post it here.

Now, I don't usually write rejection stories because I feel like there are plenty of them without adding my own. However, this story just seemed to beg me to write it, so here goes nothing! Don't worry though, I promise to give you a happy ending, just as I do in all my stories.)

"Come on you two! It's a Thanksgiving Day Parade, you two both served in the US Army, and deserve to be on that float too," Gemma begged.

Rocky and Johnny glanced at each other, both shaking their heads.

"No, Gemma," Robert 'Rocky' Martin, the oldest of the twin brothers disagreed. "We may have served, but we aren't considered veterans or anything."

Gemma huffed, saying, "Yes, you are. Come on you two, there aren't many in this town that have served."

Johnny glanced over at his twin and gave a sigh. Sometimes his brother just didn't know when to give in. He looked back at Gemma, saw the pleading look on her face. He knew she'd worked hard on this float and so he said, "Fine. I'll ride on it, I'm pretty proud of my time in the Army, even if I'm not as decorated as my brother here is."

Rocky rolled his eyes at the two of them. He knew they were trying to guilt him, sadly they also knew it would work because he usually did anything his younger brother by three minutes asked. That was the biggest reason he'd gone into the Army, to begin with.

"Fine, I'll ride to Gemma, just remember you've run out of favors from me until you do something for me," Rocky agreed.

Gemma smiled and gave him a hug. "Thanks, Rocky, this really does mean a lot to me."

"It better because you know how I feel about most of this town. I only came home for Thanksgiving because it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without mom's famous pumpkin pie," Rocky partially joked.

Rocky truly didn't like this town and had been glad to see its dust behind him when he'd left for the Army. He'd ended up finding a place to live close to Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas after he'd finished his four years. He'd then signed up for another four and had just finished his time a few months ago. He was now a civilian at twenty-six and looking for a regular job.

His brother, however, had only done four years and moved back home.

Rocky had no plans to move back to this town, no matter how much his mom pleaded with him, or how much he missed his twin. He had a life in El Paso, and he like it there.

"Earth to Rocky," Gemma teased as she flicked his nose.

He shoved her hand away.

"I just wanted to tell you before I leave that you need to be there at eight in the morning. They want everyone in place by fifteen after eight because the parade starts at eight-thirty," Gemma explained.

Rocky nodded and walked back inside his brother's cabin. "I'll be there."

#

At six o'clock Thanksgiving morning, Rocky was up and shifting into his wolf for a run. He ran until he was relaxed. His nerves about being paraded through the town had kept him up most of the night. He really hated being on display, but this town, well, he double hated it.

"You ready to go?"

Wolf Rocky turned to look at his brother where he stood on the porch of the cabin. He gave a slight nod before he shifted and answered, "Just needed a run."

"I know, and it's fine," Johnny said. "We should be getting ready though, it's a good thirty-minute drive to town."

"All right, let me shower and shave, it won't take long," Rocky told him as he walked toward him.

"Hey, Rocky. You think with all the visitors in town we might find our mates?"

Rocky shrugged. He'd all but given up on finding his when he'd turned twenty-one. He was now twenty-six and still hadn't found her. "If we do, we do, but I'm not holding my breath. For now, I'm content with my life."

"Mm, whatever you say, brother," Johnny said before he walked away, heading for his room.

Forty-five minutes later they were walking into the warehouse where the float was stored. Rocky had to admit he was impressed. The float was done in red, white, and blue, flags flying. Down the side was the symbols of the armed forces. He knew all four would be represented, he'd even heard there was a Navy Seal going to ride today.

"So, what do you think?" Gemma asked as she bounced out from a door off to the left.

"It looks good Gemma," Johnny said as he gave her a hug.

That's when Rocky saw it, the smile on her face at being close to Johnny. She was in love with him, although, Johnny looked oblivious. He shook his head, it was gonna hurt when Johnny found his mate.

Gemma was younger than them, by three years, and a wolf also. She knew what would happen when Johnny found his mate, so he had to wonder how long she'd had feelings for Johnny.

"What do you think Rocky?" Gemma asked him as Johnny pulled away and headed for the float.

"Looks fine to me," Rocky responded. Then in a soft voice, he added, "Gemma, I don't want to see you get hurt..."

"I'm fine," she whispered, not even trying to act like she didn't know what he was talking about. "I'll get over it. Anyway, I need to go find my driver, she should be here by now, excuse me."

Rocky watched her quickly leave and gave a sigh. She might say she was fine, but she was anything but.

"What were you and Gemma talking about?"

Rocky looked at his brother. "Nothing. So, do you know where we're supposed to stand?"

"Yeah..." Johnny's voice trailed off as a door slammed somewhere.

Rocky felt his heart begin to pound as he turned around, away from his brother, and asked, "Do you smell that?"

"Buttered popcorn?"

"Yeah, but how did...?" Rocky began. He and his brother loved buttered popcorn, always had, and could never get enough. He'd thought maybe he'd caught the scent of his mate, but perhaps someone had brought popcorn since they were both smelling it.

"Guys, I want you to meet our driver, Jennifer," Gemma called out as she and another girl rounded the end of the float.

"I'm still not sure about this Gemma," Jennifer said. "I mean, I've never pulled a float before."

Gemma laughed. "Girl, you drive an eighteen-wheeler for a living! This is just a little float!"

Jennifer stopped moving and took a deep breath. Her eyes widened as they landed on Rocky and Johnny.

Gemma frowned because even she knew what that look meant. Her frown then turned to a sad face and her eyes looked glassy.

Rocky stepped forward at the same time as his brother. His wolf was whining in his head about finding his mate. He was excited even though he somehow knew his twin would be sharing her with them.

Johnny reached her first and put out his hand to touch her cheek. "My mate, where have you been that I didn't find you before now?"

"I'm here visiting my brother," she answered in a whisper. "He's the Navy Seal that is going to ride the float."