Thirteen

I'm finally back from a minor break due to schoolwork. I will try to update at least two-three times a month, hopefully more<3
might be some mistakes here and there
——————

 I will try to update at least two-three times a month, hopefully more<3 might be some mistakes here and there——————

Ava

Time seemed to have slowed down as I watched the clock on the wall closely, waiting for the voices in the hall to awake. My leg bounced up and down repeatedly while I listened intently, but all I could hear was the slicing of vegetables behind me. Mrs De Luca seemed to cook or occupy herself with tasks when she felt anxious, like an innocent escape from what had happened to her son yesterday. And now again when we waited for their arrival.

"Dolcezza, don't be so nervous. They'll be home any second." She uttered calmly, referring to my annoying habit, I presumed.

[Sweetie,]

I stood up and walked to the isle. "I will never understand how you can be so calm in these situations." I confessed, hoping she wouldn't be offended. She only gave me a smile and kept slicing.

"Practice." A simple answer. "My husband was even more wicked than them, not a positive trait of course. You just have to find ways to control your nerves, dear. There's not much else we can do, while not being a part of it all."

Mrs De Luca was a gentle woman, though firm and confident. I adored her completely. Yet I couldn't allow myself to end up like her. Her ability to mask her emotions was a strength built from a weakness, and surely took years of practice. Loosing her husband must have broken her heart. It would break mine too and I refused to sit back and watch it.

"I'm not sure I agree." I dared to say. Although not in a disrespectful way. Her brow cocked my way with an inquisitive look shadowing her eyes.

"I presume you want more than to just be a mobwife?"

I chuckled lightly at her sweet attempt to a joke and glanced down at my hands planted on the stone-cold surface of the kitchen isle.

"I guess I just want to be a part of this, to feel helpful. I don't feel satisfied just having a voice at meetings or gatherings just to be locked up because James is so scared of me getting hurt. I guess he's been quite open about me training to defend myself but I feel like he doesn't trust me when it comes down to it." I expressed with a frown. "Do you think I'm wrong?"

"Not at all. But protecting his family and those he cares for is in his nature, actually all men feel that way. At least they should. What else are they good for?" She gave me a tilted smile and I laughed. Just when she was putting the cut-up celery in the casserole, the front door opened and welcomed several heavy footsteps on the dark floorboards.