Chapter 3

*Thanksgiving one year later*

"The town is very picturesque Rocky, I don't know why you'd want to leave," Layla said as they headed for Rocky's parents' house.

"Yeah well, I didn't leave because of the town, but because of the people in it," Rocky answered, glancing over at her.

She laughed. "Okay. So, will your parents have a problem with me being there?"

"No, they shouldn't," he told her. "I rented us a motel room though, so we wouldn't have to stay with them. I just think at my age that would be a bit awkward, don't you think?"

Rocky had asked Layla to be his girlfriend after dating for a couple of months. She was a bright light in his dark world. Six months after his rejection, his wolf had slowly begun to disappear. This meant he could no longer shift into his wolf form, and about three weeks ago he noticed he'd lost his extra senses. He could feel his wolf, slightly, in the back of his mind, but that was about it.

He knew his wolf was dying and that when he did, Rocky would too. Rocky's physical health was beginning to fail, which included weight loss and tiredness.

So, with everything that was happening to him, he decided to grab life by the horns and be happy, Layla made him happy. They hadn't been intimate, he needed to tell her what he was before he felt he could go that far with her, but their kisses and touches could arouse him to the point of crazy.

Pulling himself from his thoughts, he pulled into the driveway in front of his parents' home. Shutting off the car engine, he gave a heavy sigh. "Well, we're here."

Layla turned in her seat and said, "You don't sound very happy about it."

He looked at her and told her, "I'm not, not really. It's been a year since I've been here, and I didn't leave with anybody very happy with me."

"You didn't even come for Christmas?"

He shook his head. "No, I just... my brother's wife and I have an issue, and I just couldn't bring myself to be here."

"Okay," Layla murmured. Reaching over, she grabbed hold of his hand. "I care a lot about you Rocky, and I want only the best for you. I feel sometimes like you hide stuff, but I don't feel like it's my place to ask. I want you to know that I'm here for you if you need an ear to bend."

"I know you are, and that means a lot to me. There are a lot of things that I've thought about telling you, but never found the right moment," he told her as he gave her a light kiss. "Come on, we should get out and go in."

Then, he got out and walked around to open her door.

"Always the gentleman," Layla said with a smile.

"Mm... you know it," he murmured, sneaking in another kiss. Grabbing her hand, he led her up the steps and into the house. He called out, "Mom? I'm here."

His mom came from the kitchen, wiping her hands. "Rocky, finally! You're the last one to get here."

Rocky gave her a hug before stepping back and wrapping his arm around Layla. "Mom, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Layla."

"Girlfriend?" Mom questioned with wide eyes.

"Just let it go, Mom," Rocky suggested because he knew she had expected him to say mate. However, Layla knew nothing about what they were.

"You could have at least warned me you were bringing someone," Mom said with a slight shake of her head.

"I did tell you," Rocky growled. "I told you more than once if I remember right."

"Mm... okay," Mom finally agreed with a huff. "Layla, I'd like to get to know you, so how about you help me in the kitchen for a bit."

"Sounds fine," Layla agreed and left the room after Rocky kissed her forehead.

Rocky watched Layla as she left the room before taking a seat on the couch. He grabbed the TV remote, yawning as he tried to find something to watch. He was always so tired lately, which meant his time was short and his wolf was almost gone. He hadn't wanted to come back here for Thanksgiving, but he feared it might be his last. So, he'd sucked it up and come anyway.

"Hello, Rocky."

Rocky raised his head at the voice. This was the moment he'd been dreading the most, seeing Johnny and Jennifer. Johnny looked happy and Jennifer looked very pregnant. What surprised him was that he felt nothing, no desire for her or any pain at her rejection. So, he turned back to the TV and muttered, "Hello."

"This is the first time we've seen you in a year and that's all you have to say? No, good to see you or how have you been?" Johnny incredulously asked. "You know, it wasn't until you left that I found out that Jennifer was your mate too. Her wolf cried for you."

Rocky snorted. "Really? It didn't seem as if she wanted me, only you."

The couch seat next to him went down as someone sat. Suddenly, a hand appeared on his thigh.

"I'm sorry," Jennifer whispered in a husky voice. "I was confused and didn't understand. I thought it was weird to have two mates, and thought I was surely mistaken."

Rocky snorted again as he turned his head to look at her as he pushed her hand off his thigh. "Good for you, but I don't believe that for a minute. I think that's just the story you told Johnny to clear yourself of any guilt. You were the one who turned your back on me, shrugged off my hand. You refused to even acknowledge me, yet now you want to play touchy feelie? I don't think so."

"Please, Rocky, I'm your mate," Jennifer whined.

"Was your mate, but not anymore. Why does it matter to you now anyway?" Rocky asked. "You've gotten along just fine without me for a year I'm sure you'll survive the rest of your life."

"Because my wolf needs you to be complete," Jennifer told him. "There is this empty place in my heart where you should be."

Rocky laughed humorlessly. "No, I think what it is, is that you told Johnny. Now he's feeling guilty because now he knows why his twin ignores him."

Looking over, Rocky saw the guilt on his brothers face and knew he was right.

"As for you," Rocky said, returning his gaze back to Jennifer, "I think you don't want me, but you don't want anyone else to have what was to be yours. I brought a girl home, a girl I love, and you can't stand it."

"I'm your mate, you shouldn't have a girlfriend," Jennifer snarled.

"That's where you're wrong," Rocky argued. "You rejected me, not by word, but by action. You didn't want me then, I don't want you now. I no longer feel anything for you."

"But—but the mate bond?" Jennifer stuttered.

"Is gone, broken," Rocky said as he stood up. "I no longer want or need you, deal with it." He then walked out of the room to the kitchen.

Mom looked up, giving him, a solemn look and he knew she'd heard every word. He glanced at Layla, but his mom shook her head to let him know Layla hadn't heard anything.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Mom asked softly as she stepped closer to him. "Is that why you left so abruptly?"

"I didn't tell you because I was ashamed, she didn't want me," Rocky answered.

Layla glanced over at them, a puzzled look on her face.

Rocky blew her a kiss and she smiled before going back to what she had been doing. "Yes, it's why I left like I did, I couldn't deal with the pain and hurt, so it was easier to leave."

Mom nodded.

"Um... what?" Layla stuttered as she swiftly turned.

He'd spoken a little too loud and she'd heard just enough to be curious. Rocky sighed. "I think there are some things I need to tell you Layla. Take a walk with me?"

Layla smiled and dried her hands on a hand towel. "I'd love to."