Chapter 31: Lost and Found

[A/N]

Real quick! Sorry for the delay everyone, but as you will find out this is a very long chapter compared to the others.

Also, I did not edit this one so forgive me if there are spelling, grammar, or even awkward sentences. I will be sure to fix it later!

************************************

Dear Contemplations,

It's been a long time since I've seen Harlan. It's like we are compete strangers even though I'm supposed to be competing for his heart. He is my last chance, so I can't screw this up. In fact, I would have thought I already screwed it up if it wasn't for palace gossip going around. Apparently, since Queen America died, Harlan has had a lot more work on his hands. That of course is understandable, but how is his family supposed expect him to find a wife if he never talks to the girls fighting for him anymore?

This entry is short, but it is all I can offer for now.

Sincerely,

Cordelia

****

"Cordelia!" someone screams.

I snap out of bed and look around my room in a panic. "Elise!?"

She pops up beside me and I stare at her with confusion. "What's wrong?"

Elise sighs in defeat. "Tomorrow is the ball and your dress is almost finished."

I continue to stare. "And? Isn't that a good thing?"

"You need to try it on! So we can make sure it fits properly." Elise says like it's obvious.

I glance over at the clock to see it's six in the morning. I then collapse back onto my bed. "Can't we do this when the sun is at least up?" I argue.

"No." Elise pulls back my covers. "We must do it now. This dress needs to be perfect."

I sit up in my bed once again and let out a long sigh. "Alright, fine."

Elise claps her hands and drops a stack of clothes onto my lap. "When you're finished changing we are heading to the staff quarters."

I narrow my eyes slightly. "Why is that? Why can't we do it here?"

Elise runs a hand through her hair. "Because we don't want to bring the dress all the way up here. If it doesn't fit properly, we then have to take it all the way back to the staff quarters again, where our supplies is."

"Okay," Is all I say. "I'll meet you outside my room in twenty minutes, I guess."

Elise nods, the gleam of determination in her eyes. She exits my room and I head toward the shower.

I really didn't need that elaborate of a dress, so I don't understand what the big fuss is about. I have gotten past the stage where I need to attract attention to myself. In fact, I think I need to start working on the exact opposite.

Once I'm finished getting ready, I slip on the t-shirt and jeans Elise gave to me. It's understandable that she doesn't want me wearing something proper, considering I'm taking off these clothes soon enough, anyway.

I meet Elise in the hallway and we walk in silence until he descend down the steps.

"Cordelia," Elise asks, her voice small. "Do you think pain lasts forever?"

"Of course not." I say confidently. "That's-"

"I don't mean scientifically, Cordelia." Elise frowns. "I'm talking about another type of pain."