CHAPTER 15

"Clint!" I called.

Clint ran off towards a broken down building where I could just about see a small child.

"Clint, I swear..." I muttered, getting off the boat and running in his direction.

As I drew closer, I saw Clint helping the child up. A noise to the left caught my attention and I saw a ship flying over to where Clint and the child were, guns firing.

"Clint, watch out!" I shouted.

Clint turned his body to shield the child. My heart hammered in my chest. I stretched out my hands and formed a shield around the pair when a blur of blue and silver shot in front of them.

No...

I hurried over to where a figure lay on the floor beside an unharmed Clint.

"Pietro?"

Pietro looked up at me, a small smile on his face.

"Hey, sunshine." He said, wincing.

I looked at his chest to see several gunshot wounds in his torso.

I wasn't quick enough...

"No..." I breathed out.

Pietro attempted to sit up yet fell back down again. I was instantly on the floor beside him, one hand on his arm.

"I'll be fine..." He assured me, his eyelids fluttering closed.

"Pietro, don't close your eyes. Please..." I begged.

Clint came over to us, having safely taken the child to the boat.

"Take this." He said, handing me some bandages with thick padding on them. "Bandage up the wounds and put as much pressure on them as you can."

I nodded and began to tie bandages over the gunshots as quickly as I could.

"You're gonna be okay, kid." Clint said.

With all of his wounds tied up, Clint stooped down and picked Pietro up.

"You're not as light as you look." He said with a grimace.

"Easy, old man. I nearly died." Pietro said.

"Pietro!" Called a voice.

Wanda ran over to us, tears beginning to run down her cheeks.

"What happened?" She asked once she reached us.

"Ultron was firing at Clint. My shield managed to take most of it, but Pietro got pretty hurt."

"Is he going to be okay?" Wanda asked.

"I'll be fine." Replied Pietro, with half a smile on his face.

"Sorry to break this up, but can we continue this conversation on the ship? He's pretty heavy."

~*~

We did it. We evacuated everyone and blew up the city. Ultron was defeated. We won.

Since Avengers tower was destroyed when Ultron attacked, Tony decided to build a new base. I've gotta say, I like this one more; it's a huge campus in Upstate New York surrounded by greenery. After the chaos we've just gone through, I think it's a nice change.

I currently walked down the hall in the direction of the infirmary, as I did multiple times a day since we got back from Sokovia. I opened the door and was instantly greeted by the sole occupant.

"Miss me already?" He asked.

"In your dreams." I replied with a smirk. "I just came to make sure there were enough clean linens in here."

Pietro crossed his arms over his chest.

"Clean linens, really?" He asked, one eyebrow raised.

"Not everything's about you, speedster." I gave a shrug while looking in one of the cabinets.

Pietro gasped. "It isn't? How didn't I know this?"

I laughed and headed over to his bed, taking a seat on the chair beside him.

"Don't worry," He began, "I haven't got tired of your face yet, sunshine. Visit me whenever you want."

"I was planning on it anyway." I replied, taking his hand in mine.

The door opened and Wanda walked in.

"Ophelia, Steve's called everyone to the entrance hall." She told me.

I went to get up from my chair yet Pietro pulled me back down.

"Can't you stay a little longer?" He asked.

I chucked and shook my head.

"I can't. I gotta go see what Steve wants."

"Steve can wait."

"Pietro..."

"Fine."

Pietro let go of my hand and I headed over to where Wanda stood at the door. I gave Pietro a small wave before Wanda and I left the room.

"So, what did Steve want?" I asked.

"He didn't say. He just said for everyone to gather." Wanda replied.

We walked in silence for a few moments before Wanda spoke up again.

"He's happy, you know."

"Who, Steve?" I asked, eyebrows furrowed as I turned my head to face her.

"No," Wanda said with a chuckle, "Pietro. I haven't seen him this happy in a long time."

An involuntary smile lit up my face.

"I'm glad." I said.

We reached the large entrance hall where three others stood; Vision, Rhodey and a man whom I recognized to be one of Steve's friends. Sam, I think his name is. Steve and Natasha stood at the top of a flight of stairs in front of us all.

"Avengers..." Steve began. "Assemble."