6

Boma remained silent, thinking she would rather be anywhere than there.

His free finger reached for her cheek, softly caressing it. She resisted the urge to flinch or reject his touch.

"Do you understand me?"

She nodded. "Yes."

He studied her face for a few seconds. She maintained eye contact for those few seconds. At that moment she was lost in the beauty of his eyes. Then she reminded herself that his beauty was just a perfect cover he was blessed with to hide his badass side.

"Tell me something. I mean, tell me the truth, how many boyfriends have you had?"

His question was direct but still plunged her into an ocean of confusion.

As he continued to wait expectantly for her response, she had to answer.

"Many."

She forced a smile. It had been a joke. She didn't even know why she was responding that way. An inner voice told her it was a lame attempt at putting in some confidence. She agreed with the inner voice.

A frown furrowed his brow.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I cannot count."

"Meaning you've been jumping around?"

She couldn't tell if he was taking her seriously. His tone was not cold, just a bit brash.

His eyes remained focused on hers.

She lowered hers.

"You're asking a personal question."

"Yes. Raise those pretty eyes and answer. No joking this time."

She brought her gaze back up to his.

"Why do you think I am joking?" She asked surprising herself because she was still scared of being in his presence. He was scary.

He smirked at her. "You don't look like that sort of girl."

The smirk disappeared and his daunting look replaced it, keeping her on her toes. When was she not on edge around him anyway?

"Answer the question. I want a number."

"How many girlfriends have you had?"

"You are four, five seconds away from getting a slap. Is that what you want?"

She froze for a few seconds before shaking her head.

"Good. I'm asking the question, not the other way around. Okay?"

She nodded. Then she shook it immediately.

"What was that?"

"No boyfriend."

"Hmm. Since we met, you have been lying to me. I understand your reasons but I want that to end right now that you're out with one truth. Alright?"

"Okay. But how do you know I am telling the truth?"

"Your naivety the first time I kissed you. Yes, you didn't expect it. You didn't want it. Still, I could tell."

Her eyes fell again.

"Mr. Donovan."

"You can call me D."

"D."

"Uh-huh. Look at me, will you?"

She met his gaze again.

"I don't want to be your girlfriend." She said.

His smirk returned. "You think I don't know that already? See, the thing is, I don't care. The choice isn't yours. This is not up for debate. And please-"