Chapter Twelve

The last thing I remember was falling asleep on the sofa, and yet I woke in Bruce's bed. I was tucked under the quilt and on what would have been, my usual side of the bed. I turned to see that Bruce's side had been untouched. I'm assuming that he had brought me up here after falling asleep, and I appreciated that. I also appreciated that he hadn't taken advantage of it and slept beside me. Not that I didn't want to be in his company, but after everything that had happened my head wasn't in a good place and I couldn't be making rash decisions because of it.

Getting out of the bed, I noticed my bag beside the dressing table and I decided to shower and get changed. It didn't take me long and when I finally headed downstairs, I started to hear the sound of chit chat coming from the kitchen. As I entered the room, Bruce and Alfred were there and they both immediately directed their attention to me.

"Good morning," Alfred cheerily greeted. "Let me make you some coffee."

"Did you sleep well?" Bruce asked with a smile.

"I did," I said walking further into the room and sitting beside Bruce at the table. "Thank you for...you know, taking me up there."

"You were exhausted. I wanted to make sure you were comfortable. I'm sorry if it was too much."

"No, it was fine, thank you."

It appeared that during our short conversation Alfred had disappeared through the archway that led to a small surveillance room. It displayed all of the manor camera footage, and had the gate intercom. "Alfred?" Bruce questioned, and he went over to Alfred who was stood silently staring at one of the screens.

"What is it?" I asked stepping beside him to look at the camera.

There was my father standing at the gate with two security guards behind him. He was trying to ring through, but Bruce declined the call. I knew my father despite how little he knew about me, and I knew he wasn't going to just go away. If he had something to say he'd make sure I heard it.

"How does he even know that you're here?" Alfred questioned.

"He's probably tried everywhere else." Bruce replied.

"He's not going to go away," I said, and I left the room. Bruce and Alfred started following me.

"Isabella, this isn't a good idea," Bruce tried to explain, but I needed to do this. I grabbed my coat from the cloakroom and headed towards the front door. "Isabella," Bruce took hold of my wrist and pulled my back slightly.

"I have to do this, Bruce."

It took him a second, but he nodded and let go of my hand. The walk from the manor to the front gate was a long one, but I eventually arrived at the gate. He was surprised to see that I had decided to show up. I stopped a little away from the gate and he moved forward.

"What are you doing here?" I asked firmly, putting my hands into my coat pockets.

"I figured you would be here," he said shrugging his arms. "I'm assuming you know about Carmen." I didn't say anything. He knew full well that I knew about Carmen. "I just wanted you to know that his death had nothing to do with me. It seems like there are targets on peoples backs. I've had to up my security. I think you should do the same."

"She's got all the security that she needs," a voice said and I turned to see Bruce standing slightly behind me. He was glaring at my father. "You aren't supposed to be here."

My father ignored Bruce and directed his gaze back to me. "You both re-kindled quickly," he muttered. "Isabella, I know that you think I'm a bad person. I know that I hurt you, but I'm still your father. This is destroying your mother and I."