Fire & Water

C H A P T E R      T H I R T Y    F I V E

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y F I V E

He sat on a concrete step, I joined him. My shoulders were draped in his jacket and it felt nice, lost under his oversized warmth.

"Did I tell you, you look beautiful tonight?" I pulled back a shy smile, not letting him have it.

"No you didn't." I admitted.

He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and brushed my cheek softly with his fingers.

"Look so beautiful tonight." He said in a velvety ASMR voice. I swallowed.

"I know." I answered strongly, acting like his heartfelt compliment was no big deal but honestly it meant the world to me.

He wrapped his arm over my shoulder, cuddling into me. I traced my finger around his heart-shaped birthmark and smiled to myself, leaning down and gently kissing it.

"You always touch that." I looked up at him, wondering if I should remind him of the one memory shared between us that should always remain locked away.

"I always believed my guardian angel wore his heart on his sleeve." He laughed a little.

"What?"

I shuffled away from him some so I could see his face. "When my father rescued me, I was really fragile. Terrified of everything. I couldn't fight yet. But your father and his men launched an attack on our safe house.

All I could do was hide away and cry in my closet. A lot of men died that night, both from my family and yours. You were there Ace."

"I don't remember that." He told me and I couldn't tell if he was lying or not.

"Your father took you out in the field, I'm guessing to train. He sent you in to search my bedroom and you found me. You stood there, holding a rifle to my head but you hesitated to shoot.

We just, looked at one another. Somehow silently communicating. One mafia kid to another. When you heard Titus coming you put your finger over your lips and that's when I seen your birthmark."

"Why don't I remember that?"

"I thought you were an angel, I was meant to be dead Ace. The whole mafia world thought I had been killed. You stopped Titus coming in and finding me. You saved my life and for years after that I always went to sleep feeling safer because the boy who wore his heart on his sleeve was watching over me."

Ace laughed. "Ironic." He commented, "but sorry to disappoint. I was more forgiving as a child, stupidly decisive. Thank god I grew up." He poured another glass of champagne out for us both and proceeded to drink it, dismissing my memory as just another casual story.