The Legacy - Part 11

Forty-two

The months have quickly passed and Christmas is fast approaching. I am especially excited because we will be having a guest. Jessica is coming to spend the holidays with us.

I thoroughly enjoy decorating the house with Adagio. I've been feeling a little under the weather, but I still manage to get out and get the Christmas shopping done and do some of the baking. When I am too sick to get out of bed one morning, Adagio is worried. I just smile and assure him I'm fine. I am actually better than fine because I already have an idea of why I'm sick. In fact, I purchased a pregnancy test yesterday.

I stare at the positive result through misty eyes, knowing Adagio will be overjoyed. Opening the bathroom door, I find him sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting patiently and I smile through the nausea. "Merry Christmas, my love, we are going to have a baby."

His smile is wide as he draws me to him, holding me close. "This is wonderful!"

"I think so too. I've wanted this so much."

"So have I." He caresses my cheek. "I love you."

"I love you, too." A wave of nausea rolls through me and I need to lie down.

Adagio helps me back into bed, pulling the covers over me. "Just rest for a while. Can I get you anything?"

"Maybe a croissant and some juice, if you don't mind."

"All right, and don't worry about Ingo. I will take care of him."

"Thank you, Adagio."

"You are welcome, amore." He bends to kiss me before leaving to get my breakfast.

 * * * 

After taking the croissant and juice up to Cisely, Adagio heats a bottle of the breast milk Cisely had stored in the freezer to feed Ingo. Pouring some rice cereal in a bowl, he mixes in some of the milk, then puts a clean bib on the squirming little boy and gets him settled in his chair. As Adagio feeds their son, now six months old, he can't stop smiling. The thought of becoming a father for the second time brings him a happiness that cannot be put into words. Only this time is different. Though he loves little Ingo with all his heart, this baby will be a product of the love he and Cisely share, and he can't ask for a more wonderful gift for Christmas.

Having been an only child himself, Adagio remembers how lonely he sometimes felt growing up, and he'd always held to the dream of one day marrying and having a large family of his own. Gazing into the face of the precious little boy he is already blessed with, he believes he is off to a good start.

Adagio burps Ingo when he's had his fill and cleans up the breakfast dishes before going to check on Cisely.

 * * * 

When the two loves of my life enter the room, I smile. I'm feeling a little better having eaten something and I am able to sit up without feeling too bad. Adagio places Ingo on the bed and sits down, reaching for my hand.

"How are you?"

"I'm better." For days I have suspected I might be pregnant, but I dared not hope because I wanted it so badly. And though I know it is going to be a challenge taking care of two children so close together, I am ready for it. I love little Ingo more than I can say, and having Adagio's child will only add to my happiness because it will be a part of him.

"I think I'm okay enough to take a shower and get some things done this morning."

"Are you sure? I can take care of things for you."