ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ꜰᴏᴜʀ: ᴀᴛʏᴄʜɪᴘʜᴏʙɪᴀ

【2.11】

11】

(n.) the fear of failure.

♡♡♡

"Shoot...shoot now! Shoot!" I hiss under my breath.

"No, it's not time yet." The man replies cooly.

"Just fire the gun. What the hell is wrong with you?" I grind my teeth as the kids fail to trap Lewis and break his mask. He's electrocuted with a weapon of theirs afterwards, but gets up all the same. He still looks just as ardent, maybe even more so than before.

"You don't know shit about a dramatic entrance." The man adds. Lewis advances towards Emma. She's almost in his grip when I put my foot down.

"NOW!" I scream. The man stands, faster than ever, and nails Lewis right in the center of his head. His head is thrown back instantly. What was once his mask flies off of his face in minuscule shards. A disgusting, singular eye and wrinkly face is left in its place. Even from up high, I can see Lewis staring at me. I try not to shudder in repulse.

Instead, I focus on Emma. Beaming, happy, Emma. I fight a grin. She and another boy race towards Lewis, once she's close, she jumps out of the way, covering her eyes. The boy throws what I assume to be a flash grenade. I slap my hands over the eyes of Ray and the man, and squeeze mine tight.

"WE GOT HIM!" Emma cheers. I'm practically shaking in anticipation when Ray and the man ready their guns. The man smirks at me.

"Go ahead." And I'm gone. I leap off the ledge of the roof with a burst of energy. Don't blink, Lewis. You'll need every glimpse of me you can catch.

Four people surround Lewis. Emma, the boy who threw the grenade, Ray, and the man. I jump right next to him, then plunge back immediately. He's so fast...I tighten my grip on my blades and dive under him, hitting a wall to stop my momentum. It's then that I notice grenade-boy sprinting towards Lewis alone.

What I see next is strangely slow. Lewis raises his talon-like fingers, readying to strike. At the same time, the boy stumbles over something. I dart off of the wall and slice Lewis' hand before he can come anywhere close to striking down the kid. His bloody claws hit the ground in normal speed, and Lewis clutches the bleeding stump that used to be his digits. His eyes focus on me wildly. Equal parts enraged and amused. I push the kid into an alley and dodge the demon's next two swipes at my head.

"A demon?" He questions calmly, contrasting the crazy look in his eye. I try to cut his other hand, but he dodges swiftly.

"Or perhaps..." The man fires at Lewis. Lewis blocks the bullet without faltering, all while dodging my own advances. Soon, he starts to chuckle. A loud, boisterous laugh leaves his lips.

"THIS IS SO THRILLING! HOW MANY HUNDRED YEARS HAS IT BEEN?" He shouts in exuberance. I watch in horror as he slams the bloody remains of his hand into the building next to me, nearly hitting me in the process. Cracks grow from the single indent of his fist, and the building starts to tremble. Kids in the windows flee. This can't be real...the whole...