Why

"What? No. Why?" I frantically questioned as I shoved the rest of the ice cream cone in my mouth.

Evie smirked and replied, "I wasn't going to actually have us go to her house but now that I've seen how you reacted, we're going."

I turned my body to face her as much as I could in the drivers seat, without hitting the wheel, while turning off the music.

"We aren't going to Aydrian's and you can't make me. Now choose somewhere else," I said.

Knowing Evie she wouldn't drop it and of course she did not. She copied my move by completely facing me but rather this time she was turning the music back up.

"We are going because you promised we could do whatever I want," she said.

I went to object but she stopped me by holding up her finger.

"No, no, no. Today I make the rules, you follow," she said as she faced forward and drowned out any protests I might have had with the Teen Beach Movie soundtrack.

•••
I tried to make up every excuse as to why we couldn't make it to Aydrian's house-low on gas, left something at the house, et cetera-but Evie didn't buy it. Avoiding Aydrian was going to be hard, I knew that much, but I wanted to avoid her for as long as possible after what happened at my house when I tried to kiss her. I'm not sure how long I really could've avoided her considering the fact that she's my lab partner, she's in most of my classes, Evie won't stop pestering me about her, and now here I am at her door step with my finger an inch away from the doorbell.

Evie was sitting in the front seat of my car moving her hands in a forward motion as if she was pushing me into the doorbell. I couldn't get myself to ring it. I turned around and started speed walking back to my car when the door opened behind me.

"Jayce?" I froze.

"Jayce is that you?" The voice, one I would recognize anywhere as Aydrian's, was closer now.

I knew I had to turn around so I slapped on a smile and faced Aydrian. She was wearing black straight legged jeans and a red ruched bust square neck bishop sleeve blouse rather than her usual sweats and an oversized T-shirt. Her black hair was up in two French braids and she had a subtle gold sparkle on her eye lids that was partly covered by a cat eye liner look. Her lips were a shade of light pink and she smelt like lavender and vanilla. I couldn't mutter a word because I was too enthralled by how stunning she looked.

"Jayce, what are you doing-"

"You look gorgeous," I finally said, not meaning to cut her off but also not minding that I did once I saw the smile on her face.

"Thank you," she replied. Her eyes never left mine as she asked, "what are you doing here?"

I avoided her question with one of my own. "Where are you going?"

"I-"

Right as she was about to answer, a cherry red Chevrolet Silverado pulled up in front of her lawn. A pale guy with coffee brown hair and hazel eyes got out of the truck and walked towards Aydrian and I. He was wearing a plain white button up shirt and black jeans and in his right hand he was holding a bouquet of white roses. When he approached us he spoke in a dazed tone.

"Aydrian, wow. You clean up nicely."

Pfft what a douche, he couldn't come up with anything better than that?

"Thank you Kevin," Aydrian responded as she took the flowers.

This Kevin guy turned towards me and then looked between Aydrian and I. "Oh I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt anything."

"No worries. I was just leaving anyways," I replied, pointing back to my car.

"Wait Jayce," Aydrian said.

"It's cool Aydrian. You should have told me you had a date today. We could have scheduled our science project for another time," I said as I began walking to my car.

"You guys had a science project to work on? I can take you out tomorrow Aydrian," Kevin offered.

I reached my car and opened the driver side door saying one last thing as I got in. "Don't worry about it Kevin. You two have fun."

Without waiting for a response from either of them I shut the door and put my seatbelt on. Evie looked as if she was about to say something but then she must have decided against it because she closed her mouth and looked out the window. We drove home in silence.

                                      •••
Once we'd gotten home Evie went straight upstairs and shut her door. I, on the other hand, stayed in the living room and turned on whatever was on television. The show playing quickly bored me into slumber and when I woke, almost three hours later, there was a little hand-made card on the table next to a cup of orange juice. The paper was cut unevenly and there was a stick figure on the front who was crying under a storm cloud that read "I'm sorry". I picked it up and opened it to reveal another stick figure who was smiling instead, under a blue sky with a bright sun. The inside said "I love you" and was signed by Evie.

"I didn't know Jayce," Evie whispered from behind me.

I sat up and turned around to face her. "How could you have?"

She shrugged. "I'm sorry I made us go there."

"Don't worry about it Evie. Besides it's better that I know she has someone because then I won't focus on her," I replied.

"I guess you're right."

Evie came over and sat beside me. She grabbed the remote off of the dark brown coffee table and put on Tom and Jerry. Before she hit play she quickly ran upstairs and into her room and then into my room. She came back downstairs holding two identical Tom and Jerry hoodies, the bigger one she handed to me.

"I love you Jayce."

"I love you too Evie. Now hit play I haven't seen this show in ages," I said and she giggled while hitting play.