Part 6.4

ADDY

The palace nestled at the foot of the Crystal Hills was truly something to behold. It was a masterpiece of white spires and spinnarets topped with gold. Gold embellishments danced along windows and doorframes. Ornate statues perched in every nook of its white marble facade, depicting all kinds of majestic creatures that Addy didn't know the names of.

"Addy, knock louder," Ruby presses. "Why doesn't this guy have a - AHHHHHHH!"

Both Addy and Ruby stumble backwards, Ruby ending up butt-first in the grass.

Standing in the doorway is a giant bespectacled eagle with a lion behind it.

A...headless lion?

"What is that?" Ruby demands.

Maya's grinning from ear to ear. "That, ladies," she says, "is a griffin."

*

The griffin's merlot eyes blink behind thin-rimmed spectacles. It stands a whole head taller than Addy, with golden feathers that gleam and smoulder in the evening sun. Its head and torso are that of an eagle, but its body, legs and tail are that of a golden-furred lion. A pair of majestic wings sprout from its side.

"My name," it says, rather waspishly, "is Eamonn. You may call me by that, as an alternative to 'ahhhh' or 'it'."

"Maya," Ruby starts, "what is a griffin with big dorky glasses doing in the doorway of Prince Marsi's palace?"

Maya's eyebrows snap together. "His name is Eamonn. He lives with Prince Marsi."

Addy wobbles up to the griffin, hands clasped at her chest. "I'm so, so sorry, Eamonn," she says. "It was so rude of me to behave like that. I've never seen a griffin before, but I should have treated you with more respect. I hope you can accept my apology."

Eamonn peers down at her with curiosity. "You must be Lady Adamantine, the Mamauri princess. I will accept your apology, my dear lady, for you furnish it with such sincerity."

Addy beams at him.

Maya glares at Ruby, but she doesn't follow suit. "We don't get griffins this far north," Ruby says instead. "What are you doing so far from Sactaphrane? Can you even survive in this climate?"

Eamonn is not impressed. He turns his beak skywards and replies, "Any climate can be corrected with a heat charm. Now, Miss Maya, Miss Addy...if you will follow me, Prince Marsi is expecting you."

He turns slowly, wings pressed at his side, and leads them down a pearlescent corridor.

"Don't be afraid of Eamonn," Maya whispers to Addy, who's trailing behind the rest of the group. "He's actually very scholarly."

"Oh, I'm not afraid," Addy responds. "I'm just admiring this palace. The white and gold is beautiful."

Maya smiles. "Sactaphranians have a thing for beauty. You should see their capital."

"I'm excited to meet Prince Marsi. I bet he'll know about all sorts of amazing things."

Doubt weaves itself into Maya's expression. "He does...but take care not to get wound up in his wild stories."

The question in Addy's eyes goes unanswered.

The inside of Prince Marsi's palace soon sweeps Addy's attention away. Its white marble walls are punctuated with heavily ornamented arches that show glimpses of equally elegant rooms. Paintings on gold-embroidered cloth adorn the walls, depicting all manner of fantastic creatures. Addy knew that sentient beasts inhabited the deserts of the Kingdom of Sactaphrane, but the diversity before her draws out awe. There were men with twisted horns, beasts with bodies made of galactic mist, and a woman with the body of a rattlesnake.