CHAPTER 8

“…..!”

The hands covering her ears were gentle and warm. The clashing sounds of violence surrounding her were muffled.

“Close your eyes.” It was a man’s voice whispering gently. The voice reminded Ronée of old memories from the past.

“Don’t look at harsh things,” he continued to softly whisper.

But Ronée finally opened her eyes. The black robe that covered her was large and obscured her vision.

When she lifted the hood slightly, the sunlight that had been hidden, came pouring in at once.

“Sister.”

Ronée and the man came face to face.

Gorgeous blonde hair was the first thing she noticed.

And then the dark blue eyes.

Ronée recognized those eyes that held darkness as vast as the deep sea.

It felt like all the sounds of the world around her were muted, apart from one voice.

The man, who was breathing heavily as if he tired from running too fast, was the person she had wanted to see for 10 years.

“…Nabel.” She recognized him at first glance.

Nabel hugged Ronée, the tension in her body left and she relaxed. It was the reunion they had been waiting for 10 years. Ronée’s heart was beating wildly. Nabel, could feel it, but remained speechless.

He pondered on what to say, but he had only one thing to say as he looked at Ronée’s visibly pale and emaciated state.

“It’s been too long, sister.”

A deep voice, that was much softer than the young voice she was used to, resonated in Ronée’s ears.

*******

Nabel did not allow Ronée to witness the horrific scene. His followers had long since slaughtered the Inquisitor mages. He used a robe worn by the temple mages to cover a body.

The clothes his followers wore were all black so their affiliation could not be identified.

“They are…!”

“You will be punished!” sputtered the stunned knights

Nabel glanced at Ronée, he thought it was only natural the Inquisitor mages were killed by him.

“Wait a minute, please wait a little longer,” he whispered.

He turned away and pulled back the hood of his blue robe, revealing black hair. Until a moment ago, his hair had been bright gold.

It looked like magic had changed his hair color. It was more familiar to her. She had wondered how it could have grown from black to blonde.

Appearing after 10 years, Nabel had become a man much taller than Ronée. There were many scratches on the strong hands, like he had held a sword for a long time.

It appears he’s been hard at work these past 10 years.

“A heresy inquisitor?”

Nabel looked back at the mages. They wore sword medallions around their necks, indicating that they were heresy inquisitors of the god Thuna.

He could hear a buzzing sound as he breathed. Someone was going to die soon.

“Those who can’t even recognize a Shinsu?”

Nabel laughed at them with no regard. Then someone who recognized him spoke up.

“Isn’t that the slave who ran away long time ago?” someone yelled.