Chapter 75

«Le meilleur remède pour l'âme est la vengeance. »
« The best medicine for the soul is revenge. »
~~~~~

My legs couldn't stop shaking, my palms were sweating. I couldn't move my body. Why was I paralyzed? I felt dizzy. It was hot and my clothes stuck on my back. I zoomed out until darkness covered my surroundings. A firm hand gripped my forearm, pulling me brutally back into reality.

"Hey!" Julian rocked me. "Get a hold of yourself! It's not the time to pass out! Come on!"

What? Why was he yelling at me? Sweats were drooling over his temple. He seemed tense. He exhaled and put his hands on my shoulder.

"I am sorry for yelling at you, but darling, this is not the time for you to slip up. I need you to be courageous and do this. I promise you it's going to end in a minute."

I hastily nodded as he squeezed me in his arms. Grace, that was the only place I wanted to be. Embedded in his scent and soaked in this warmth. However, he was right. I had to do this. Why was I feeling like this? Why was I sad and hurt? I was Mark, for God's sake.

There were many police officers in the hallways. They were very active and running around. I hated the morgue. A gloomy feeling settled in my stomach. The place reeked of death, no matter how much they tried to cheer up the decorations. I wanted to run and cry, but Julian was right. It would be over in a minute.

I held his arms tight as we walked into the hall to the two men waiting for us. My heart was beating so fast it hurt. I couldn't accept reality yet. My thoughts were blurry, and I zoomed out. Every sound was distant. Why was I so nervous? I hated this place.

"Thank you for coming. My name is Detective Lois, and this is my partner, Reiner. I am finally glad to meet you." He lightly bowed in front of us, which made me intolerably uncomfortable. Although Julian told me he was a germophobe. "I worked on your father's case a while ago, but we never met."

I swallowed the ball in my throat and cocked a crooked smile. "Thank you, it is nice to move you." I said with a slightly shaky voice."

Lois was your average-looking white detective with a receding hairline, but with a workout body. Reiner was shorter. He was missing a tooth and had a bad standing posture.

"I haven't included in the investigation for your safety. and I acknowledge it is not best for your mental health. You have been through so much, but I have no choice but to ask for your help." He continued.

"Help with what?" I questioned him.

Mr. Reiner and Mr. Lois shared a hesitant look before speaking.

"The situation is complicated. Mark Pellerino has a sister, but she lives six hours from here. You were the closest to reaching out in this short amount of time. It is difficult to ask, but we need you to identify the body."

"What? Why do I need to do that? Mark's face is pretty recognizable."

"Did he get smashed or something?" Julian casually crossed his arms.

"No, but they ambushed his car. Two of his bodyguards were dead, one injured. We found the bodies with no identification left near a dumpster while the culprits stole the car. Autopsy hasn't revealed the cause of death yet."

"So you think they staged a robbery?" Asked Julian.

"Yes." Mr. Lois agreed. "We found the car this morning in Harlem, burned to a crisp. Although we know it's him, it is safer to verify before announcing it to the public. It is too much to ask, but please, your help will be very appreciated."