Chapter 12- The Invisible Creatures

Yesterday
All my trouble seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday
Suddenly
I'm not half the man I used to be
There's a shadow hanging over me
Oh, yesterday came suddenly
Why she had to go, I don't know
She wouldn't say
I said something wrong
Now I long for yesterday
- Yesterday • The Beatles

James couldn't breathe.

     The hand on his face, the invisible hand, was constricting every palpitation of his lungs. His face was bashed and bruised carelessly as he was dragged through bushes and trees, branches scratching every part of him.

     Why was it always him?

     Why was it always him and Lucy?

     His younger sister was in sight when he was dragged backwards, which was a relief. It wasn't as if he could move, however, making sure he knew where she was, meant more than was viable through words.

     Despite not being able to move, James struggled against the grip. He had to do something.

     Suddenly, he was dropped. His clothed back hit the ground with a thud allowing a groan to escape him. The air had been knocked from his lungs; not that there had been too much there in the first place. Before he could stand, Lucy had scuttled towards him and withdrew her dagger.

    However, nothing was there. They looked to the space in front of them, and though the siblings were aware that they'd been captured by a creature of some sort, they weren't able to see what. This perplexed James as he pushed himself from the grass. He just couldn't understand.

    Swiftly, the dagger was thrown to the ground, and Lucy's face contorted with confusion. She went to lift it, but she too was knocked backwards.

  A low voice broke. "There is no escape."

  "Well put." Said another.

  "Scary." The third agreed.

  "Yeah." Added the second.

  Nobly, Lucy spoke up as James offered her a hand. He was thinking. It would take a while... maybe. "What are you?"

  "We are terrifying invisible beasts." Said one.

  "If you could see us, you would be really intimidated."

  There was a general hum of agreement between the invisible creatures. It wasn't completely... frightening. "You also forgot to mention that we'd every large."

  "What do you want with us?" An exasperated James questioned. His mind was whirring, and it was taking all of his strength not to transform into his other self.

  The deep voiced creature seemed to be the leader, as he spoke most often and confident. "You all do what we ask."

  "They will."

  "Very Clear."

  "Well put."

  "Yeah."

     The facade was starting to fade. It didn't frighten him as much as it should, after all, his captors weren't visible. However, there was something about the way they spoke. They weren't confident. They weren't used to this. They weren't prepared.

  Strongly, the youngest Pevensie stated. "Or what?"

  "Or death." One challenged.

  "Death? Death?" There was a whispered concern in their voice.