| Katie |

I took a deep breath as I stared at myself in the mirror. I had gotten up extra early to straighten my thick hair and pick out a decent outfit, you know, if you could call a band T-shirt tucked into jean shorts decent. But it wasn't every day that you started your senior year of high school at a completely new school halfway across the country from your last. Sure, I had done this plenty of times, but this was senior year. It felt heavier for some reason.

"Katie! I'm going to be late if we don't leave now!" my dad called from the living room of our new rental house. It wasn't very big: one story and three bedrooms, but with mom gone, we really didn't need anything else.

I felt my chest tighten with the thought of my mom. It was on days like these that I missed her the most. It had been three years since she had passed, but the grief was taking its sweet time leaving. I knew I would never not miss her, but when something important, like starting senior year, rolls around, it was hard not to feel extra overwhelmed. She should have been here with me, driving me to school in our one car so we could have a big "first day" talk on the way. But she wasn't...

"Katie Nicole!" my dad yelled again, his patience starting to wear thin.

"Coming!" I snatched up my black Jansport backpack and secured my blue baseball cap tighter on my head. With one last glance in the mirror, I whispered, "I promise I'll make today amazing, Mom." And then I bolted out the door.

Dad was already outside, starting our silver Toyota sedan when I finally exited the house. I had taken a small detour and grabbed a Clif bar from the kitchen for breakfast and I could tell by the slightly exasperated wrinkle in my dad's brow that we were running later than he wanted. I held back a sigh. He always had to be punctual.

I slipped into the passenger seat, my peanut butter granola bar hanging from my mouth as I swung my backpack into the back seat. The instant I had my seat belt clicked into place, my dad was pulling out and whipping through the neighborhood.

All was quiet, nothing more than my own crunching as noise. I could tell that, recently, my dad's job had been more demanding and running late wasn't helping with the stress pressing down on his shoulders. I felt a little guilty for adding on to the late nights and extra paperwork.

"Uh, Dad?" I muttered as he turned right onto the main road.

"Hm?" he responded, without even glancing at me.

I swallowed, debating on if I should say anything but I forced myself to ask, "Are you doing okay? I know the new location has been a little extra stressful so... I thought I'd check..."

His hands tightened slightly on the wheel, but his forehead uncrinked a notch. "I'm fine, Kathrin." His voice was weak, signaling that he didn't want to talk about it.

I nodded slowly and then turned my attention out the window for the rest of the car ride.

When he finally pulled up to the highschool, the entire place was already crawling with students. I watched as people bear-hugged and laughed, reuniting with their friends after summer break. Every face was unfamiliar to me and I felt my insides start to knot.

No, Katie, I told myself. You promised Mom you would make today amazing. So no nerves. I steeled away the butterflies in my stomach and breathed in deep. No matter what, I was going to make the most of this new change.

My dad rolled into an empty parking spot at the very end of the lot to drop me off. He said nothing as I reached back and grabbed my bag, readying myself for the flood of new that I was about to face.

I pushed the car door open, slinging my bag onto one shoulder. I was about to close the door again, letting my dad get to work on time when he stopped me, "Katie."