Chapter Thirty-nine

Jordan Walterz

I grew more anxious when I noticed his temperature had gone higher than normal.

Sam had gone completely still and the only thing that prevented me from highly panicking was his pulse I felt as he leaned on my back.

I tucked both hands under the back of his knees to support him on my back and his hands fell limply around my neck with soft–barely– there breaths fanning the base of my nape. At least that was assurance he wasn't gone.

I hurried upstairs, brushing past a few who stood at the alleyway, causing unnecessary human traffic. Some looked at me questionly but I wasn't about to explain anything to anyone. It wasn't their biz.

I pushed our door open, almost bumping into Chris and Samuel who were on their way out.

   "Holy shit. Did he fall asleep while walking? Has he been bitten by a tsetse?" Samuel asked in a rush before Chris whacked him.

  "Get out of the way and quit asking nonsense questions."

"It's not nonsense,"he glared at Chris, stepping aside so I could finally enter.

"It definitely is bruh. You know tsetses are not even native to this country."

   "Doesn't mean one can't be found here and besides, that's a good assumption seeing Sam like that mm?" Samuel insisted, the two trailing behind me to my bedside.

I took him down, gently on my bed and rested his head on the pillow.

  "What's wrong?" Christopher asked, his eyes scanning the sleeping figure.

"I don't know. He passed out all of a sudden."I uttered lowly, checking his pulse again.

"Shit." Samuel cursed,"so he's not asleep after all."

"What happened before that?" Chris probed, taking a seat close to where Sam's feet laid.

I opened my mouth to say before closing it on second thoughts.

It really gripped me hard to even think about it but I know Sam wouldn't want me talking about it to anyone yet.

Albeit Connor had to be reported and punished for what he almost did, I had to respect Sam's decision of not wanting to say a word about it now.

   "He needs to rest."I said, deciding to switch the topic because they now had their eyes fixed carefully on his face. I feared they might discover it if I didn't divert their attention.

  "Where are you guys going tho? I can see you're not just carrying your backpacks out for fun."

   "Evening lectures!!"they both groaned.

"Liiike tf? Which school has lectures on Sunday evenings?" Samuel hit his head twice on Sam's bedpost. Pow! Pow!

I was not even bewildered given he could act psychotic sometimes.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

  "Your brain needs attention already and you're doing this." Chris too sighed, walking to the door.

"You guys are just envious of me." Samuel imitated the sigh look Sam was best at doing, following after Chris. "Tell my name pal to get enough rest kay? He studies too much, it's probably draining him."

I made an abrupt 'mmsound, pushing him out of the room.

   "Ow—" Samuel began but I cut him short.

"Happy lectures." I shut the door, securing the lock.

Exhaling through my lips, I made my way back to the bed.