13.02

"Come on, it's a good idea

"Come on, it's a good idea." Helena insisted, bouncing on her toes, as she stood by Amelia, in the elevator. "Dinner makes people happy, meaning it's likely to go well. If there's one thing that portuguese culture teaches you is that good food equals happiness."

"Uh, I don't know about that. The last dinner party I threw was that time I met Penny Blake." Amelia tilted her head.

"Ok, but that was a bigger thing. This is... well, it's just us having a nice dinner at my place with Meredith and Maggie to tell them about us. It's not a big deal. Casual clothing, only the four of us... it's barely even a dinner party." Helena argued.

"Fine, you're right." The neurosurgeon agreed, as the elevator doors pinged open. "But, for the record, there will be dinner and other people. You are throwing a dinner party."

As Riggs entered the elevator, he let out. "Oh, you're having a dinner party, Helena?"

At that, the small girl opened and closed her mouth, turning to look at Amelia, before letting out. "W-well, it's not really a dinner party, as much as a... casual dinner with friends?"

"I make a whitebait fritter that's out of this world." The man suggested. "I could bring some, if you want."

Sharing a look, the couple searched for an answer, before Helena let out. "I- sure! I'll- we'll see you there."

"Great." Riggs smiled, looking incredibly satisfied, as the elevator doors opened to the ER floor.

The two women walking out of the elevator, Amelia whispered to Helena. "Seriously? What happened to the 'casual clothing, just the four of us, not a big deal' thing?!"

"What was I supposed to say?!" Helena almost yelped. "No, new guy that barely has friends, you cannot come over, eat your whitebait fritter all alone and sad?"

——

"Dr. C, this is Zach Thompson. Six months post-renal transplant, complaining of abdominal pain." Jo presented, as Helena walked to one of the ER beds, still putting her gloves on.

"I know the history." Helena smiled at the resident. "Zach and I go way back, don't we, buddy?"

"Dr. Helena." He smiled.

"Hey, Zach, Reena." She greeted the mother and child. "As much as I enjoy your company, can't say I like having to see you guys here again."

"Yeah." The mother let out.

"Zach, I'm going to check your stomach now, if that's ok with you." Helena announced, the little boy nodding.

It wasn't common practice to announce an abdominal exam with patients, children and adults alike, but the doctor made it a habit. She found it not only made the patients more comfortable but also helped identify any red flags with children.