n i n e t e e n

"Oi, Kai, pass me the salt would you?" Drew nudged Kai in the side.

"Sure," Kai said with his mouth full. He reached over with one hand and handed the salt shaker to Drew.

"Thanks."

"I'm almost scared to ask, but are we still in trouble, Drew?" Blake asked timidly.

"Yes," Drew said shortly.

Kai coughed and covered his mouth with a hand to try and hide the smile that was turning up the corners of his mouth. Drew had put Aaron at one end of the table and Blake at the other, a good ten feet away from each other. Then he'd given Aaron a twenty-minute long lecture about what contact was 'appropriate' with Blake, leaving the alpha red-faced and humiliated. Drew could be faced with a slasher murderer that was trying to kill him, and he'd chew him out for his life choices and recommend some Institutions.

"Babe, can't you let them sit any closer?" He asked, brushing a thumb over the back of Drew's hand.

"No way. Not only were they making out in the bathroom, which is nasty, but Aaron left marks all over Blake's neck! Not acceptable!"

Blake leaned over to Kai. "Funny how I'm referred to as 'Mama Blake,' but Drew is so much more motherly."

"Yeah, he'll make a great mother... If he wants children, that is, because if not that's perfectly okay!" Kai added hurriedly at Blake's icy stare.

The lunch lady, Mrs. Charity, came bustling over, dusting off her skirt. She lightly tapped Drew's shoulder. "Sweetie, the principal wants to see you."

"Me? But I didn't do anything wrong!" Drew said worriedly.

"Don't worry, you're not in trouble or anything, I think she just had something to ask you." Mrs. Charity patted his cheek and gave him a sweet smile.

"Um, okay," he said and stood up.

"Want to me walk you up there?" Kai asked.

"No, I got it. Thanks, though."

"M'kay. See you in a bit." Kai squeezed his hand before lightly kissing his palm.

Drew left with a red face. 

***

"Sorry, come again?" Drew asked dumbly.

Mrs. Becker sighed and rubbed her temples. Her glasses were slipping and a few hairs were falling out of her bun. "I said, the Board of Directors got ahold of your records and they noticed you haven't taken any form of Home Education classes."

"So?"

She sighed. "You have to take at least one in order to pass eleventh grade."

"What? Blake hasn't taken one. Aaron hasn't taken one. Neither has Kai," Drew protested.

"Drew, you have to understand. Certain things are different because you are...." She trailed off, waving a hand in an attempt to get her point across.

"An omega? I have to take Home Education classes because I'm an omega? You told me it wouldn't affect my school life. You told me that." Drew was getting angry, his head throbbing with an incoming headache.

"Drew, listen. It's just a semester. You don't even like Spanish."

"That shouldn't matter! You told me nothing would be different!"

"The Board isn't giving me any choice!" exclaimed Mrs. Becker as she threw Drew's file down on the table. "I didn't want to make you take any class you didn't want to because I know how hard being treated differently because you're an omega is for you, but I don't have a choice in the matter, so please try to understand that this isn't me doing this, Drew."

Drew sat down in his chair harshly. "Fine. I'll take the class. What is it, cooking? How to be a cutesy little omega house-wife?"

"Well, you see, because you're transferring in the middle of the quarter, most classes are filled."

"Great. What does that mean?"

"It means you're going to be taking Birth and Childcare."

Drew's jaw dropped. 

***

Drew stood in front of the classroom door, essentially burning a hole through it with the heat from his glare. Birth and Childcare? Birth and Childcare??

How the hell was he going to explain to Blake why he wasn't in Spanish? Oh yeah, sorry Blake. Instead of learning a practical skill necessary for many jobs, I'm learning how to have babies! Isn't that wonderful?

Yeah, no.

"Uh, excuse me," a timid voice said. "Could I maybe get by you? I have class."

"Oh, sorry," Drew said, moving out of the way. A tiny boy with long white blond hair thanked him and scooted by him quickly.

"Well, at least other boys are in this class," Drew muttered. He steeled himself and opened the door.

The teacher, Mrs. Barker, looked up. She smiled, putting a hand on her obviously pregnant stomach and waved to him. "Hi! I hear you're our new student? Nice to meet you!"

No lack of friendliness at least. Drew waved stiffly, avoiding eye contact like the plague. He just prayed nobody from the basketball team ever saw him or he might as well dig his own grave, pick out his flower arrangements, and jump in it. Maybe start burying himself as well.

"Why don't you take a seat by Rebecca?"

A girl moved her backpack off the chair next to her and patted the seat, smiling warmly. If Drew wasn't so embarrassed he would be very happy with the environment this place had.

He threw his stuff on the floor and sank into the chair, resting his head on his hand.

"Hi," the girl whispered. "I'm Rebecca! What's your name?"

She obviously knew his name, the teacher literally just said it, but was trying to be polite. "Drew," he muttered. "Nice to meet you."

"Likewise!" She set a heavy book on his desk. "That's your book. It looks boring but trust me, this class is actually mega hard. You'll want to pay attention."

Drew groaned and dropped his head down onto the desk, softly beating his forehead against it. Was it too late to go learn Spanish?