Chapter 01

Chapter I

In the distance, a rooster crowed loudly. Sunlight shone through the window, now opened. Wax dripped from the chandelier in Liana's room, and the stymph egg on her bed rattled slightly. Liana awoke, half-heartedly rubbing her eyes and trying to wipe the haziness of waking from sleep away. The moment she opened her eyes, she saw something wrong. Not wrong, really, but different. Her fuchsia eyes fell on the stymph egg, and she nearly let out an embarrassingly giddy squeak. Catching herself and clamping her mouth shut tightly, she smoothed her dress and jabbed the egg. Faint, pathetic cracks appeared, but Liana grinned. She was Evil; and she was absolutely sure of it.

~

Going to the dining hall, Liana made sure to stare down every maid she saw. She loved the way they trembled and scurried away like mice. Liana cared nothing of what humans thought of her, unless it was fearsome or commanding, for she believed firmly that half the population were dumb and the other half annoying (these thoughts belong to my oc only!! I don't actually believe all ppl are like that :D) Liana sat at the very end of the table, far away from where her mother and father and sister, Lucretia, sat. She hated Lucretia, with her near-perfect qualities. She was kind to animals and all the people in the house loved her like they would an angel, but Liana saw past that and found that she was extremely good at turning her sister into a deranged monster of a girl. Of course, today, the beginning of the new school year at the prestigious schools for Good and Evil, Lucretia had received her Flowerground Pass for being Good around all the important people. Liana rolled her eyes to herself and stuck a bread roll into her mouth to stop from making rude comments.

Lucretia looked over, as if just noticing Liana's existence. She smiled in a fakely sweet way. "Did you get your Flowerground Pass, dear sister? Mine came this morning. I saw a butterfly drop it in my personal mailbox. I'm sure you got yours as well." The tone of her voice clearly indicated that she didn't expect Liana to get accepted to the school at all.

Liana blew out a breath. "You'll see once you leave." she continued without emotion, "Congratulations of getting into the School for Good, by the way. With luck, you'll get into the Trial of Tale and surrender before you realize you're in danger and die."

Lucretia gave her a look of hurt, which was the fakest thing Liana saw all day. "You don't have faith in me? Well, I suppose it's normal to be jealous, since it's clear you aren't going. Have fun in the local princess school you'll be sent to. I guess Fate just doesn't like you very much. I apologize deeply."

Lucretia fluffed her hair, which was a light mahogany instead of dead black. Liana's mother and father smiled at Lucretia fondly before going back to their meal. After they finished, Liana made sure they were out of earshot before whispering to Lucretia, "I am going to the School for Good and Evil."

Lucretia's reaction came two seconds late, but by then her eyes widened in alarm, as if thinking what a disaster Liana would turn the School for Good into, before realization hit and her eyes bulged even wider. "You're going to the School for Evil? B-b-but...then how am I supposed to make friends? They'll all hate me because my sister's a Never!"

Liana's mouth curved into a wolfish smile. "You can always drop out and go to princess school. I'm sure you'll have lots of new friends there." She giggled, though it sounded more like a cackle. Her mother never did say she could laugh properly.

Lucretia glared at Liana before storming to her room. "You'll be sorry. Everyone likes me because I'm nice and pretty and smart. You'll be all alone and pathetic, like you are now. And you'll be the one forced to surrender in the Trial of Tale!"

Liana smirked, satisfied and returned to her room to pack. I guess Fate likes me after all, she thought.