Chapter 43 | Corrupted Memories

Dylan's POV:

I sighed as I pushed the door to my bedroom open, revealing a sleeping Clara who had not moved position since I had last checked on her.

I had been very busy the past couple of days, going over everything with Beta Charles about signing over the pack, however, Clara was still my priority, and I made sure all of my free time was spent with her, even if she was asleep for most of it.

Gazing down at her sleeping form, I brushed her hair out of her face, dragging my bottom lip into my mouth.

I had almost lost her.

I had no words to describe the pain of seeing my mate bleeding to death on the forest floor, not knowing whether she was going to make it or not.

My wolf completely took over, and I had ripped Alpha Paul's body to shreds until there was nothing left of him.

"Clara, sweetheart, it's three in the afternoon. I think you should have something to eat," I whispered gently, watching her stir in her sleep.

She had become a shell of a broken woman over the past few days after finding out about the loss of our child, barely eating, drinking or talking.

Opening her eyes, my mate shook her head, burying her face into the pillow, causing me to sigh.

"You haven't washed in a few days. Let me get you cleaned up," I said as I lifted her up bridal style, making my way to the on suite bathroom, setting her down gently on the counter.

As I ran the bath, making sure it wasn't too hot, I turned to Clara, noticing how her glassy eyes were focussed on the floor, avoiding eye contact with me. Hooking my finger under chin, I forced her to look at me, frowning down at her.

"I love you so much," I whispered, planting a gentle kiss on her forehead, which caused her to sigh blissfully.

"I love you," she said so quietly I barely heard it, her voice hoarse from dehydration.

Passing her a glass of water, watching her guzzle it down in a matter of seconds, I pulled her hair out of her messy bun, letting the tangled mess cascade down her back.

"We can try again, Clara," I said, gulping, "if you want to."

When the doctors had told me she had been pregnant, and there was no heartbeat, I felt like my heart had been ripped from my chest, leaving me hollow.

I didn't want Clara to find out the way she did, but I wanted her to be fully healed before knowing, worrying that her already fragile body wouldn't be able to handle the news.

I helped my mate into the tub, crouching down beside her as I began to scrub her body, lathering her soap before turning my attention to her hair, massaging shampoo into it, causing Clara to hum in pleasure.

"How is the pack stuff going?" she asked, taking me off guard.

"The pack is pretty much all signed over. There are a few more minor details to sort out, but everything is going smoothly." I answered, clearing my throat. "When you're feeling better, I want to announce to my pack that you're taking your role as Luna, if you're okay with that."

My mate nodded, closing her eyes tightly as I rinsed her hair and body, ensuring she was soap free. "I want a fresh start, Dylan."

Furrowing my brows, I looked down at Clara as I helped her out of the tub, wrapping her in a blue fluffy towel. "What do you mean?"

"I want to move to your territory. I don't want to be here anymore. It remind me of...him."

I growled as I noticed Clara's watery eyes, my wolf instantly becoming agitated at the sight of his mate looking so vulnerable.