27: Training Wheels Pt. 2

This is an edit but I realize I should probably warn you that this chapter is home to more internalized homophobia than a volleyball team's locker room so just be aware 👍

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Show me One For All at 25%." Sanyu instructed.

Midoriya stared at the cement pillar in front of him and nodded. He took a deep breath and focused on how much power he was using. Only 25%.

He kicked the pillar, denting it severely.

"Good." Sanyu said simply. "Now at 50%.". Never once in his life did Sanyu think he would be helping anyone else master their powers. He was the baby of the Six after all. Everyone had already mastered their powers by the time he came along.

Still, he supposed if he was still in his world he'd probably end up helping someone else train. There was never a guarantee that anyone else would ever get powers but if they did Sanyu figured he'd be there for them like Jackson had been for him.

"75%." He instructed, gesturing to another pillar. 50% had absolutely totaled the last one. Midoriya obliged and kicked the pillar, sending it crumbling to the ground.

"I'm not going to have you use 100%.".

"But-". "No. You already hurt yourself once. Recovery Girl can't always be there for you." The hero said simply. "Besides, look at what you did with just 50%. You don't need to use 100% if you use 50% right.".

"Why wouldn't I want to use 100%?" Midoriya asked, "Giving everything your all is what I stand for.".

"100% doesn't mean giving it your all." Sanyu explained, "Do you know what would happen if I used 100% of my powers even once?".

"Well I don't really know." The boy said sheepishly. "I assume you'd destroy some buildings, considering you're pretty powerful.".

Oh if only that was the truth.

"Midoriya, did you know I recently discovered that you have a device in this world similar to the one that gave me my powers?" Sanyu asked. His friend looked surprised.

"No! What is it? Do you think it could have the same capabilities in this world? Should we be worried about someone getting your powers?" He rambled.

"The device I'm referring to, Midoriya is a hydrogen bomb.".

Silence hung in the air.

"Giving something your all doesn't mean using 100% of your powers." The hero explained, "It means doing the most you can. There's no point in catching someone only to break their bones.".

The green haired teen nodded and stared down at his scarred palm.

"Take it from a guy that only uses 50% of his legs.".

Midoriya turned and stared at Sanyu, who stared back at him expectantly.

"Was that a joke?" The hero student asked. Sanyu nodded and furrowed his brow.

"It wasn't funny?".

"Um...well it wasn't not funny?" Midoriya said, smiling sheepishly. Sanyu sighed.

"I'll get it eventually." He mumbled to himself.

---------- --------- --------- ------------ ----------- -------- ----------

As training continued that afternoon Sanyu realized some people were working harder than others. And that Mineta made everyone uncomfortable.

He often complained that it was because of his quirk. Now, Sanyu would have agreed with him just a few weeks ago. He found Mineta's quirk strange and a little freaky. But now that he was more acclimated to this new world he found mutant quirks cool.