June 7, 2027

"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

*

June 7, 2027

We live in an age where ideas are recycled. Buildings are reused. Redesigned. Sometimes, if it was a business, the senior employees tag along.

Five years after the mayhem that was Bionics, recycling was exactly what happened.

Pent Corporation rode in after the world had forgotten the destruction androids left behind. With a quick swipe of their power-hungry broom, they swept the damage under the rug. Before anyone knew it, the idea of android companions was theirs. The commercials with synthetic smiling faces took over TV screens, reminding people to call. They needed to. They would regret it if they didn't try.

And as if the trauma had never happened, people ordered their android friends. Again.

Personally, I wasn't bothered by the idea of androids returning to the streets. I was one. I identified as one. Without a human conscience to remind me of the terror and fear I experienced on Bionics' rooftop years ago, I rolled with the punches and lived. But I owed someone else the chance to experience life, too.

"Conversation received. Message sender—Rory. 'You can turn around. Don't risk your life for me.'"

The message's words passed over my line of sight like a persistent fly. Since leaving the house tonight, Rory messaged me once every five minutes. When I reached the old facility Pent Corp. rebranded for themselves, the messages were quicker. Back-to-back. Rory had to know my location and tried his hardest to get me to turn back.

I'd made a promise to him, even if he didn't want to hear it. His actions were forgiven. And as the world forgave machines and gave into the idea of letting them return to their homes, I knew Rory would have no issues re-acclimating to society. He just needed to take the chance.

Looking at the warehouse doors across the street, I told myself I had to bring the opportunity to him.

"Conversation received. Message sender—Rory. 'Javi, please, don't.'"

I rolled my fingers into a fist. The security cameras outside the building's back entrance circled the lot. Moving left, the white light illuminated the empty space. When it shifted to the right, brightening the door's window, I saw Mary's face inside.

She turned back as if eyeing her surroundings. I'd scanned the surroundings, the building's interior, and found she was alone; there was the exception of androids, but no humans in sight. When she turned to look out of the window, at me, she motioned for me to come inside.

Eyeing the cameras, I approached.

Mary swung the door open. She held onto the handle while I stepped inside. Glancing back into the facility's open room, she made sure no one was behind her. Her nervousness made me laugh. "What are you looking out for?" I asked.

Her dark eyes narrowed as she moved around me, pushing the warehouse latch down, securing the lock. As the camera light passed outside, she turned and pressed her back against the door. "Do you know how many security bots Pent booted up tonight?" She leaned her head close. "Fifty. Fifty!" Her voice dropped to a scared hiss.

I watched as she passed me, slowly stepping into the open space. "You didn't have to stay here, you know," I told her. "You could've given me your credentials. I would've let myself in."

Mary stopped center room. She turned her head, curls swaying from her ponytail. Red color crept up her brown cheeks, flustered. And despite the flushed cheeks being opposite of what I loved to see on her, I admired her still. Dipping my head to the right, I smiled.