An Unlikely "Friend"

Adira was forced to join the beast down by a nearby stream, watching stiffly as he stood with his boots submerged in water. She tried to focus her attention elsewhere, still planning an escape despite not being exactly threatened in any way.

The sound of someone stepping out of water caused her to whirl back to attention, tense as ever when her creepy companion started to walk away from the stream and her. She stood there for a moment, watching him make his way past trees, secretly hoping he forget about her until he turned back and gave her a look. Adira couldn't even see the rest of his face still despite how bright the morning was, but the way he narrowed his eyes made her feel like he was telling her he expected her to follow...or else.

She swallowed loudly and hurried behind him, biting the inside of her mouth as she struggled to figure out where to go from there.

"I don't know why you need me here," Adira spoke slowly and loudly, "I'm no use to you. I just want to find my boyfriend...that's all."

The beast stopped waking, almost causing her to run into him. "Hello..?" Adira asked carefully, noticing he was just standing there staring at the floor. She thought maybe he was watching something and looked at the ground as well, but there was nothing. Maybe he was understanding her?

"Um, l-like I was saying. I have to go back to my people. We are searching for our families...please I don't have that long. If this some cruel sick game where I get eaten at the end I at least want to be able to find Mitch and know he's okay- or..." she stopped, and at once sadness overcame her. Beads of tears rolled down her eyes as she shook her head, "Or at least know he is at peace." Her voice cracked as she laid her hand over her chest where her necklace once was, "His friend is dead. I don't know what to expect."

The monster turned his head to the side slightly, watching from his peripheral vision as the woman began to cry. He huffed loudly, resuming his walk as Adira was forced to follow behind.

She couldn't comprehend how everything had gotten so messed up. No wonder so many people were going missing in Whispering Winds. If this thing existed, she thought, there was definitely something supernatural going on around there. It was too hard to believe and overwhelming for Adira. She only stumbled slightly from lack of concentration before a strong pair of arms were suddenly swinging her from the ground.

Adira gasped in shock as the creature was now carrying her in his arms like some sort of Disney princess. "N-no! I'm fine-!"

She didn't realize he was transitioning her over his shoulder, like she was an old sack of grain.

Embarrassed yet more terrified, Adira dared not make another sound. She breathed rapidly, chest heaving up and down as she wondered what he was going to do to her next. She felt like a rabbit in the jaws of a predator, being played around with until it was hungry again.

After a few minutes she was placed on the ground. Her captor pointed out past her...and towards a distant camp she knew well. Adira whirled back at the large being, struggling to come to terms with what was going on.

He was letting her go, but why?

She wasn't going to question it any further until the horned creature reached into his jacket pockets and pulled out things Adira knew well. She gasped as one clawed hand dangled her missing locket before her eyes in an almost teasing manner. The other held her phone. She didn't even need to ask where her gun was.

Adira reached out to grab the locket first, but the monster yanked his hands away, placing the items back in his pockets. Without another word, he turned and disappeared back into the forest.

She stood there, bewildered and troubled by what had just happened. She was free at last, but for what reason? And if he had her items, why did he take them in the first place?

Realization hit her. He wanted her to come back out to him, didn't he. That was why he tempted her with her locket especially, knowing it was something she would die for, regardless of the consequences.

Adira couldn't comprehend why, but she knew what she had to do. "Fine," she spoke aloud, "You what to play this sick game, then you win." She would see the beast again tonight when everyone was asleep, only this time she would be prepared. Nothing would get in the way of her and Mitch's gift. She would have that locket by tomorrow, regardless of the consequences.