60. PORCELAIN STATUE

Your slender fingers are playing peek-a-boo with the deep scarlet material flowing down your waist, as you try to fold and hold them in place. After what felt like an eternity, the saree gathers into a neat array of pleats and you tuck them into your saree silhouette.

"Ensure it lies flat against your body!" your mom promptly yells and your gaze shifts from the saree to your laptop screen. "Tuck them properly if you don't want people to think you're pregnant!"

"Amma, I'm trying my best okay!" you shout back.

"Your aunt already thinks you're married, now don't drop another bombshell. Have compassion for that poor soul" A sly smile tugs at her lips.

"Maa! I told you what happened over there, your dumb assistant was the one who messed up, still, I managed to convince her that I myself accidentally wore that vermillion on my forehead."

"But, do you think she believed that?" A sharp knife plunges into the apple in her hand.

"She did I guess, but she is still sceptical about our relationship, like what I told was such a far-fetched story so we can't blame her either and that is why she has invited us to this get-together party. And to muddle the water, even more, her husband's relatives are also coming from India and UK to celebrate his 60th birthday. I just want to skip this one day from the calendar maa! It's nerve-wracking!" You whine, struggling to gather the fancy ruffles to place the pallu.

"Y/n, calm down, you can manage it! It's not a big deal, you guys go there, chat with people, have some yummy foods, and come back. That's all, what's so hard about this?" she says nonchalantly, slicing another piece of the red apple that resembles your saree.

"Maa! What's got into you? Do you even realize what's happening? I have to introduce Jungkook as my boyfriend tonight and your sister already considers him as my fiancé!"

"Having Jungkook as my son-in-law doesn't sound that bad, in fact, it sounds like a good idea! Technically after what happened in the temple, you guys are a married couple now, right?" You stare into the camera as if she plunged that knife right into your heart.

"Maa! Shush! What the hell are you talking about? You do remember this is a contract, right? I know you have a soft spot for your beloved minion, but he hates me like anything!" you whisper yell at her.

"Perhaps, but even now you didn't say you hate him." She looks up at the camera with a deep smirk,

"Anyways, I was just kidding, if your dumb brain glitches at any point Jungkook will take care, so just sit back and enjoy the night. Also, your dad doesn't know about all this, so don't blabber anything to him for now! Go safe and take care, bye!" the call ends and black engulfs the blank screen.

It feels like someone has swapped their soul with your mom, these days the acute change in her behaviour often leaves you in a baffled state. She is no more the typical Indian mom who panics at any minor inconvenience, you can surely sense the influence of Jungkook's mom in your mom's personality day by day.

Wondering about your mother's inscrutable mind, you successfully drape the 6 yards of feverish red around your body and let it wholly hug your curves. Apart from meeting all those new faces, appearing in front of Jungkook in a saree unnerves you even more. All your life, you've never felt confident in a saree, a fellow classmate's mocking comment on the day of your high school farewell party, and that one uncle who said you looked like your mom's sister in saree are the ones to be blamed, many such similar incidents and comments have left a deep scar in your heart which is filled with nothing but hatred for sarees.

But, since Shashima has been constantly emphasizing the dress code of the party as her in-laws will be there, you couldn't do anything about it and chose to bite the bullet. Gathering the dark locks together you try to pin them into an elegant chignon. But a few curls slip away and makes it harder. After the fifth try, you let out a frustrated sigh and hoist your arms even higher to hold the curls.