CHAPTER 52. Butter Em' Up

"I don't like him, not one bit," I told Cyprus as we sat in his living room, my arms crossed. The older Dragon sighed.

"I don't like him either - neither do I like your vampires. Aaron is the first step in getting Shade back without openly getting involved, so play nice."

  I shook my head. "No, I'm not playing nice with him, he's rude and suspicious."

Cyprus looked at me with narrowed eyes. "Do something for me, darling sister, pretend you've been waiting your entire lonely existence, to find the one made for you, and she's got a dozen of your worst enemies as lovers."

I scowled. "W-well, maybe you shouldn't have told him about all that, because it sounds like he wants to fight them or something."

"Of course he does!" Cyprus shook his head and took a deep breath as I jumped back at his sudden raised voice. "I'm sorry," he placed a hand on his forehead. "Raven, you need to work something out between you and that wolf."    

I looked down at my feet and felt a frown bloom on my face. I didn't want to do it, but I had to, kind of like math homework.

"Fine, where is the grumpy puppy?" I grumbled, pouting slightly.

Cyprus raised an eyebrow at me. "Knock it off, I'm not falling for that, you're an adult, act like it."

I scowled and looked away. "Fine, where is he?" Works on the vampires just fine... stupid brother.

Cyprus stood and walked over to me, placing his massive hand on my head. "Spare office, down the hall, last door on the right, just be nice, surely you can't mess that up."

I bit the inside of my cheek. I always mess up math homework. I stood and slowly made my over, running my fingers along the walls. I stuck my head into the office and paused.

He was sitting in a chair, in front of a massive desk, writing something on a sheet of paper. "Don't just stare, come in," he looked up from his work and I gulped as our eyes met.

"L-look," I paused as my voice shook and steadied myself. "Alpha Aaron sir," his lips turned down as I leaned on the wall inside the office. "I don't want us to fight," I said slowly, and stopped all together as he gestured me towards him.

"Come here, Koshka, I can hardly hear you,"

Liar, I thought, but humored him and pushed myself off the wall, slowly making my way towards the wolf with calculating eyes. I stood in front of him as he turned his chair, so I was standing between his legs.

I nearly screeched when he set me in his lap, looking at me with a blank face as mine grew hot. "Tell me about your.... lovers," Aaron demanded as I sat on one of his thighs, our eyes locked.

"O-oh, uh, well, Fallon, he's... a cutie pie," I swore Aaron looked ill at my statement. "And then there's Cross, he's really dominant, Lion too, they tag team a lot." I paused and frowned. "Fin likes puzzles, and Dune makes the best hot chocolate in the whole world- you should try it sometime!"

"I'm sure I won't," Aaron said with a hint of coldness, making me deflate slightly and pause.

"Then there's Faith, she's a girl," I watched Aaron's face, but it was still blank. "She helped me dye my hair red," I lifted it up as if he couldn't see it already.
"Nicholas, he's amazing, but kind of stern sometimes. And... River," I leaned up to Aaron's ear, like I was telling a secret. "He's the one I met first, and he's usually the one who's calm when everyone is going crazy."

"Hmm," Aaron said, but didn't seem all that interested, which was rude, because he's the one who asked!

A question dawned on me and I met his eyes. "How come you know we're mates? Is it like in books, and your wolf told you? Does your wolf have a personality? Or does it just bark at you?" I swore Aaron's eyes flashed black for a moment, before they were a normal blue once more.

"The wolf inside of me is like an entirely different person," Aaron said slowly and touched two fingers to my neck, applying slight pressure and tilting my head back a little. "He wanted to bite you the moment he saw you, all that horrid stench all over our mate."

I blinked in confusion, cheeks heating with embarrassment. "I stink?"

Aaron sighed and took his fingers from my neck. "No, but the vampire scent all over you does,"

I tilted my head to the side. "They smell? Because they're dead? Do they all smell the same?"

Aaron shook his head, face twisted in disgust briefly. "They all smell, uniquely... utterly disgusting."

I nodded a few times then paused, eyes lighting up a little. "Can I meet the wolf? Does he have a name?"

"Of course he has a name," his voice was slightly chastising. "And no you may not, you're not ready to meet him."

I let out a tch sound and shook my head. "How bad can he be? Oh, and you never answered my other question, how come you know we're mates? Because I don't feel anything special towards you, like in werewolf books. Shouldn't I want to jump your bones?"

Aaron looked suddenly angry with me. "Don't you have a filter? I knew the moment I heard your voice- and since you're so curious, I'll show you how you'll know." Aaron grabbed my waist and stood, making me gasp and kick my legs.

"Hey- stop, manhandleing me!" I snapped when he set me on the desk roughly. "And I'm delicate!"

Aaron loomed over me. "No, you're not," he said simply and I froze when one of his hands cupped the side of my neck, the other landing on my upper thigh, making me stare at it.

"W-what is this supposed to-" I paused, feeling my eyes go wide as I felt what books always called 'pleasurable sparks' or some shit. "H-ey, stop that," I said weakly.

"Didn't you want to know if you were supposed to feel something special?" It wasn't Aaron's voice whispered in my ear, the voice was darker, and it made me freeze. Aaron suddenly pulled back harshly and shook his head sharply.

I slid off the desk and touched my hair nervously. "I- I'm going to go home, okay?" I called softly and Aaron slowly looked at me, eyes flashing black to blue, and back again.

"Then I'd leave now, if I were you, otherwise you won't be," Aaron said softly, hands holding the desk stiffly, like he was holding something back. His wolf?

I nodded and scurried out of the office, hearing his muttered "fuck," as I escaped back to the living room. "I'm going home," I told Cyprus, who raised an eyebrow.

"You worked everything out?"

A hysterical laugh left me. "No! Can one really work something like that out so quickly?" I asked and rubbed my temples. "I... I'm gonna have tell everyone about Aaron, aren't I?" I paled and felt suddenly sick.

"Relax," Cyprus told me softly. "This isn't something you could control - hey," he stood and grabbed my shoulder as I sucked air in and out sharply.

"They're going to be so mad," tears filled my eyes as I began hyperventilating. "I- I can't,"

"You can," Cyprus pulled me into a hug. "It's only one werewolf, it could have been worse, what if you got twin mates?" Cyprus wiped my eyes and pulled back slightly to meet my gaze. "Breathe, it will be fine, they'll understand,"

I shook my head. "No they won't, I think you're overestimating their thinking skills."

Cyprus pursed his lips. "You're right, bunch of idiots, the whole lot of them, well, except the small one. Just butter em' up,"

I stepped back and fiddled with my hair. "Yeah... butter them up, good idea,"