Chapter 7 - Prefects, Portraits and Dorms

Once all of them had finished eating, Dumbledore (the headmaster) gave a little speech about new rules, pranking and yada yada, and Eve zoned out all the way through it. After the speech, Dumbledore instructed the first years to follow the prefects out to their dorms. Now this was something to look forward to. The prefect, whose name Eve was too tired to catch, led them through the stairs.

"Be careful with the stairs, they like to change." He said. Change? What does he mean by 'change'? This guy's mental, Eve thought. And then she looked up to see the stairs moving on their own and Eve understood what he meant by 'change'. And she continued to follow the prefect hurriedly so that she wouldn't get left behind if the stairs changed.

And then came the fun part. Some of the canes next to a cupboard began to move violently, on their own. "Peeves!", the prefect yelled at the air. "Now watch out for Peeves, he's the poltergeist around the place. If he ever troubles you, tell him that you'll complain to the Bloody Baron."  And then Peeves came out. "Ickle firsties, eh? I remember when you came in prefect-o, remember how you cried-", Peeves started to narrate the prefect's story before he was interrupted by a loud Eva, who was talking to James Potter.

"Now, look at his clothes. Atleast from the late 1700s or the early 1800s. From that we can say that this bloke's been around for atleast 2 centuries or so. He's not a ghost, though. Now what I'd like to know is how this guy's still alive and functioning, while the other ghosts can't touch shit."

"Language, Eve!" Remus whispered, but Eve ignored him.

"Also, if he's lived for 2 centuries, this guy must also be like, very intelligent, right? Like from personal experience. So, that means, he 'd have loads of tricks and knowledge up his sleeve-" And now Eve was interrupted by a very happy Peeves. "My lady," he began dramatically, "no one has ever talked about me this way. I have never been so delighted by the respect that one has ever given me. And that is why I offer my hand as your partner in this castle. You will be protected by me as though you were my own child-"

"That's all nice, Peeves, but would like to my pranking acquintance?" Peeves nodded like he was a bright child of seven, and drifted off into the air, all while sobbing tears of happiness.

And that's when Eve realized that everyone was now looking at her and her friends. She gave them all a wide grin, and told the prefect to hurry up before the stairs changed. When they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady, Eve was confused.

"This is the enterance to the dorm and-" the prefect began, when Eve interrupted him for the millionth time. "Do we like, blow a hole in the portrait and go in or something?" The prefect and Remus rolled their eyes, while James, Sirius and Marlene grinned at the idea of blowing something up on their first day of school, and the Fat Lady gasped as soon as she heard Eve.

"Anyway, like I was saying before I was very rudely interrupted-"

"Hey! I am NOT rude!"

The prefect ignored her. "The dorm will open when you say it's password. The password will be changed weekly, and the new password will be put on the common room board on every Sunday." "Now, the password for this week is Bloody Hippogriff" The portrait swung open. 

Inside was a cozy room with a nice maroon wallpaper and bright yelow stripes. It had loads of comy chairs, a nice big fireplace and a newspaper stand which also served as the common room notice board. Towards either side of the room was a flight of stairs, and Eve immediately knew that it'd lead them to their dormitories.

"Now that we're all finally in, let me welcome you to the Gryffindor common room. Towards the right side, you'll find the stairs that lead to the boys' dormitories and to the left, the girls' dorms" one of the prefects said.

"Pick your dorm-mates wisely. You'll not be leaving them for a while - 'til you finish school. Don't make a decision you'll regret." the prefect said with a smile.

Knowing that she'd have to share her dorm with girls and not boys, Eve first turned to Lily and Marlene, who also turned to her. They nodded at each other, and Eve ran up to one of the empty dorms to save the place for her friends and her. Lily brought with her another girl, Alice Fortescue to share the dorm with them. Alice was a shy girl, but she opened up soon enough. All four of them somehow knew that night, that they weren't going to regret the choice that they'd made.

Night rolled in and the girls went to sleep, all except for Eve and Lily. They stayed up to write letters to their homes. Eve knew that Sherlock would be waiting for her letter and picked up a piece of parchment before she began scratching down words on it for her brother and her family.