Chapter 9

I walked toward Amity's room, but tears started coming rolling out.

Do not cry in the palace and he would never love you replayed in my head again and again.

"Amity," I whispered when I walked into the doorway.

"Emily, what's wrong?" Her smile quickly turned into a frown.

"I haven't even been here for two nights and I already feel like giving up." The words just tumbled out of my mouth without thinking.

I didn't even realize that that's exactly what Amity is doing.

"Emily, I know I'm leaving, but I'm leaving because i know I can not stay here. But when I get home, I will be hoping you win. I'll be cheering you on because you have been a great friend to me for the last few days." She smiled at me.

"He would never love me." I blurted.

"What? Why would you say that?"

"Because that's what Jessica told me."

"Emily, don't listen to her. She's just jealous."

"She didn't seem like it."

I looked around her room. For a moment, the tears had faded, but when I saw her packing suitcases, they came back.

"I'm sorry... but I have to keep packing. I want to go to the dinner tonight. I'm sorry to make you go, but I'll just see you then." She smiled.

She'd make a great princess. It's such a shame.

I walked out and slowly made my way to my room. When I came to my room Chelsea immediately covered my eyes.

"Ah! What's going on?" I gasped.

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to frighten you, Lady Emily! But Karen is finishing making your dress for tonight and we want to make it a surprise!" She giggled.

Karen had hid the dress from my sight and I smiled as Chelsea took her hands away from my eyes.

"Okay," I chuckled. They always know how to cheer me up. "I think I need a bath. A lot of stuff has happened and I just need a break."

"Of course, Lady Emily! I'll go get it ready for you now!" Karen darted toward the bathroom.

About 20 minutes later she came back and said, "all set!"

I walked in. Once again candles were lit and rose petals floated on the surface of the water.

This is just what I needed.

I struggled to remove my dress and called Chelsea in to help me, feeling awkward and chagrined.

"Thank you, Chelsea. What would I do without you?" I smiled.

After she walked out, I locked the door and sunk into the water. Instantly, I felt all the muscles in my body relax.
Every bad thought slipped from my mind.

I don't know how long I was in there, but when I got out, it was already 2:00. The dinner would be at 6:00 so i assumed I should just change now. I'll let my hair air dry and write my family a letter while I wait.

I put on a soft red robe and quickly hurried out the door. I expected to see Karen and Chelsea sitting there, reading or something, but neither of there were there.

"Chelsea?" I asked.

No response.

I decided to do my maids the favor of setting the makeup out so they could redo it once they get back. Currently I looked like a raccoon with eyeliner and mascara running down my eyes. I thought about having one of my maids help me remove it before I got in the bath, but I was too stressed at the time.

I was closing the blinds so no one could see me in my robe from the window when I heard a knock at the door.
I sighed in relief. I went to the door and unlocked it, and turned around to go back to the vanity.

"Thank goodness your back! I was worried you might of gotten knocked out by a guard too," I chuckled.

I was expecting them to laugh along, but I didn't heard anything. Instead, I heard a deep voice come from next to the door.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I thought you said I could come by. I didn't know you'd be getting ready so soon."

Prince Ryan.

My heart skipped a beat and I felt my cheeks burning. I totally forgot he was coming by. Yet here I am. Sitting by the vanity in a tiny robe with wet hair and a makeup smeared face. I was speechless.

"Oh my gosh," I dropped my head in my hands. I turned to him and continued, "I'm so sorry! I forgot..."

"No it's alright. Obviously you aren't prepared to do anything with me at this time. Maybe I'll come back later after the dinner." He purposely turned away so he wouldn't be looking at me in a small robe.

"Y-yeah I-I... After the dinner. Maybe..." I scrambled for words.

Ugh I'm an idiot!

He turned toward the door, but stopped and said, "I'll look for your maids. If I see them I'll send them here."

"Okay... Thanks..." Think think! "Wait! Please come back after the dinner. I promise I won't look torturous then."

Smooth, Emily.

He chuckled and said "I'll see."

He walked out and I closed the door behind him.

Ugh.

I rubbed my face and another knock came on the door.

"Who is it?" I asked this time.

"Lady Emily, it's Chelsea and Karen."

"... Are you sure?" I confirmed.

"Yes, we have your dress!"

I opened the door and they walked in.

"Oh, you must have just gotten out of the bath." Karen said.

I explained everything to them as they were doing my hair.

"Oh, darling! I'm so sorry! We must make you look flawless in order to make it up to Prince Ryan!"

"Ugh!" I whined. "Do I have to go to the dinner? Can I just have dinner delivered to my room?" I was only half kidding.

"I'm not sure about that. But you'll be fine. Go look at yourself in the mirror. You'll blow Prince Ryan away!"

I looked at myself. I looked marvelous. They made me a purple dress. (Not pink) Is was strapless and had jewels on the middle. I was a ball gown dress. And it was 100% beautiful.

"Wow." Was all I could get out.

They giggled, "we thought you'd like it!"

"You guys out did yourselves! It's perfect!"

I couldn't stop looking at my reflection.

Prince Ryan, come see me now!